Single hooks v Treble

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jt2hunt, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

On poppers, stickbaits, and divers? What do you think works best and why?

Specifically, does anyone notice a hookset dropoff when using single?

thanks

2. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I tend to stay hooked up less when i use the diamonds with trebles. I try to put pressure on the fish and i think that is why they come off. When they are being pulled up i think the swivel with a single hook or assist hook with cord puts less torque on their mouth......That being said i dont jig near as much as some people, with most of my jigging be done for bottom dwellers.

Oh yea i love trebles on poppers it makes the fight easier......but i have lost a few on poppers also.

In conclusion, whatever hook sticks is the best.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

the only time I've used singles on a popper was for marlin and you really needed to let them eat it incase the single is out of the mouth area. People are using singles on the back of poppers with a trebel up front. That's what I would do personally

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i don't use trebles on jigs....diamond jigs come with singles and my assist hooks are singles. i've never tried treble hooks on jigs.

i tried using a single hook on the back on a popper and a treble up front. i missed a few fish, then put a treble on the back and didn't miss any. i'm going to stick with trebles for tuna.......but this was only on one trip so the evidence is anecdotal to say the least.

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the only jigs i use trebles on are hookers and diamond jigs

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i am a believer in the single assist hooks on jigs!

What about the topwater baits?

thanks!

I want to know if people have had any success using singles on poppers?

7. TOO

TOO Senior member

J, from earlier this year. Take it for what it's worth, I'm sure I'll be accused of something.

From this post on 360tuna by etan:
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/assist-hooks-poppers-2488/

I used a "Bazztex Special" popper with single hooks in front and back on the TFF Quatro Tuna trip. It was a wide open bite, had YFT all over the lights and had blowups on 80% of my casts. I hooked and landed one YF, had about 8 short hook ups before the hooks pulled or the lure pulled out of the mouth.
    Don't know if it was my technique on the blowups on the popper, the single hooks, or something else. I know at the end of night the popper was marked up, but it was hard to actually hook up and fight a tuna. It was extremely frustrating yet a whole lot of fun to have that many blowups. Kind of a ying/yang thing. I kind of figure some of it was due to the singles not in proper position in the mouth to hook up, but that is just a guess.
    We were on a party boat, so it isn't considered real hard core, I guess.

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I use singles when im going to catch and release, and trebles when im fishing for meat

10. Ralph Kuo

Ralph Kuo Member

I use singles when im going to catch and release, and trebles when im fishing for meat

I always use single hook, no matter release or meat, I don't want to kill the fish if line is busted, treble hook is not my way.

Another reason, single hook penetrate harder on the fish mouth, treble hooks don't hit hard. The same power of setting a single hook and a treble hook, single hook stabbed deeper.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It becomes my habit to experiment rods, reels, jigs or poppers.
    I became believer that fish are more interested in dangling hooks most of time instead of jigs though they also attack jigs too.
    When I fished king salmon on jigs in Kodiak Island, AK years ago, I experimented treble hooks on small Luhn Jensen's Stinger jig despite of warning by Capt while 6 other guys on the boat used a single hook ( Capt and mate usually hate to see someone use treble hooks when netting). I get hit three or four times more on that day. Capt later acknowledged that he constantly get more bites on treble hooks than single hooks when he experimented himself on later trips after he saw my success. When I visited Kodiak again, I found they only use treble hooks.

Ralph Kuo is right. You drop many fish by using treble hooks as it does not penetrate deep and you have to give constant pressure not to give any slack line.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i do like the benefit trebles have when they're stuck in tuna's mouths and face....they come in quicker!!

13. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Of interest:

Nomad Tackle Shop Home

There's a video link down at the bottom of the page showing how he rigs his stickbaits. I haven't tried it, but have been intending to.

F

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I always use single hook, no matter release or meat, I don't want to kill the fish if line is busted, treble hook is not my way.

Another reason, single hook penetrate harder on the fish mouth, treble hooks don't hit hard. The same power of setting a single hook and a treble hook, single hook stabbed deeper.

The fish isnt goin to die because it has a treble in its mouth apposed to a single hook.

You might have a better hookset with a single hook AT TIMES, but your going to get more chances to set the hook with the treble. WIth fish like tuna, they set the hook themselves so the hooks get buried the same way regarless of a treble or single. Your not gonna stab and deeper because its single

15. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I also only use a single hook on diamong jigs. I think the treble interferes with the action of the jig. When i see it swimming with a treble as opposed to a single hook the action seems to be off for me. Although I have not seen anyone not catch because of a treble hook it has mentally affected me so I only use singles on diamond jigs. the single adds to the action

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

excellent information

17. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Hey,

Of interest:

Nomad Tackle Shop Home

There's a video link down at the bottom of the page showing how he rigs his stickbaits. I haven't tried it, but have been intending to.

F

Thanks for sharing that link. The video was very informative.
    Also I checked out the rest of the website and now I am interesting in going on the Nomad Sportfishing "Coral Sea Ultimate Adventures" trip.

Ty

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Also I checked out the rest of the website and now I am interesting in going on the Nomad Sportfishing "Coral Sea Ultimate Adventures" trip.

Ty
    Ty, I have been interested in fishing there, but I always chose other destinations last moment because the prices of fishing with Normad Sportfishing discouraged me. :)

19. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty, I have been interested in fishing there, but I always chose other destinations last moment because the prices of fishing with Normad Sportfishing discouraged me. :)
    Kil,

Thanks.
    Its the first I have seen such packaged deals like that in such exotic places.
    This is something I would like to do within the next 1 to 2 years. I am sure it will end up costing several thousand dollars.

Ty

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Kil,

Thanks.
    Its the first I have seen such packaged deals like that in such exotic places.
    This is something I would like to do within the next 1 to 2 years. I am sure it will end up costing several thousand dollars.

Ty

I believe it is in the range of 5 digit $$$$. There are many other to place for less although the area is very beautiful.