360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2,270 Posts
Little feedback as i have have been fishing a lot of single assist cord lures for many years from GT to Tuna.
1. Major concern here is obviously the action of the lures. They need to swim properly. This has been a huge task for me as some lures swim like complete shit with single hooks. We can go into lures later if you’d like. If possibly rig and test every lure combo before your trip.This is obviously vary a bit if you only have a fresh water pond compared to the ocean. But anything is better then nothing.
2. Lure weight and hook weight are extremely important. Lures action will change tremendously with you’re hook configuration and the size of those hooks will even make a floating stickbait turn into a sun surface bait rather quickly. Weigh your hooks AND split rings so you know what you’re dealing with.
3.You will, for the most part get a better holding hook set with singles. I find with GT and Tuna especially they are able to torque on the trebles more often then not. This also goes without saying. Trebles are horrible for fish being released. If your killing tuna then it doesn’t necessarily matter.
4. Singles with assist cord add the the profile of the lure. The assist cord will add length and more hook exposure to the lure. This is both a good and bad thing tho. If the fish are small I’ve found it hard to not pocketbook them. If they are big it’s a benifit as it puts the lure in a better position, usually outside of the their mouth so they can not torque on the hook.
Hope this helps a bit and let me know if i can clarify anything.

·
2,270 Posts
Hey thanks alot for sharing!
Its probably region specific, but lure action doesnt seem to be an issue for lures made in Japan for most are tested with both trebles and singles. The packaging usually says something along the lines of "ST-66 3/0, or equivelent to 7g"

Maybe we can share some lures which work well with a specific single hook combo.
Do you have experience with double singles ? It may be an area specific thing but its becoming very popluar especially for larger yft and bft tuna. Apparently increases hook up ratio and allow for smaller singles to be set. You seem experineced so maybe i could send you some and you could test em out. Or just stick two singles on a split ring. Same thing.

Below 2nd pic is from the Carpenter website for their GAMMA series lures. Just lists the recommened weights.
Same with CB ONE. Their field tester dude exclusively uses double hook with cord. He claims he doesnt loose very many fish. I assume lure action isnt an issue. Just for reference. Cheers

View attachment 124435 View attachment 124436 View attachment 124437
We can Deff ge this conversation going as far as lures go. There are a lot of them out there that’s for sure lol. I’m back from overseas now so I’ll be more active on here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts