Simple and Short Travel for Fishing

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by red34, Jan 15, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I used to hit up 24 hr – 1 ½ day trips in So Cal after my work week which was very convenient due to the fact that my company paid my airfare for the trip. I miss these trips alot and I'm looking for something similar.

San Diego is very conveniently set-up where you can get off a plane, take a short cab ride to the landings and hop right on a boat. I was hoping you guys could tell me about other places in the country that had similar situations.

What I’m looking for is a city or port that Southwest or American flies directly to (not having to rent a car), with a good party boat / fleet. Also, I’d like to be able to do the trip over a weekend so I can take as few days off as possible.

For example:

American Round Trip to San Diego - $300 - Depart Friday Return Sunday

1.5 Day Trip out of Fisherman’s Landing - $235

Total Trip before Cab and Food - $535

Boat is out Friday night and home Sunday morning and you don’t even have to take time off. That’s what I’m talking about!

Is there anything else like this out there?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

canyon trips up north. overnighters are now $300 give or take.....catches depend on when in the season but the target is tuna. i used to do these after work or if i had nothing to do. its fun :)

It was under a 1.5 hour drive from where we lived.

3. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

What does that airfare number include-- I assume you plan to use rental rods? Isn't a rod tube that's over 62" linear about $100 each way on everyone but Continental?

I used to hit up 24 hr – 1 ½ day trips in So Cal after my work week which was very convenient due to the fact that my company paid my airfare for the trip. I miss these trips alot and I'm looking for something similar.

San Diego is very conveniently set-up where you can get off a plane, take a short cab ride to the landings and hop right on a boat. I was hoping you guys could tell me about other places in the country that had similar situations.

What I’m looking for is a city or port that Southwest or American flies directly to (not having to rent a car), with a good party boat / fleet. Also, I’d like to be able to do the trip over a weekend so I can take as few days off as possible.

For example:

American Round Trip to San Diego - $300 - Depart Friday Return Sunday

1.5 Day Trip out of Fisherman’s Landing - $235

Total Trip before Cab and Food - $535

Boat is out Friday night and home Sunday morning and you don’t even have to take time off. That’s what I’m talking about!

Is there anything else like this out there?

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

american has rod length exceptions as well.

5. red34

red34 Guest

What does that airfare number include-- I assume you plan to use rental rods? Isn't a rod tube that's over 62" linear about $100 each way on everyone but Continental?

That was just the tickets and all taxes. I guess you'd add 1 or 2 bags depending on what you bring.

I have 4 - 2 piece rods. 2 OTI rods and 2 others that I bought specifically for this type of trip. So that plus 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag. Last time I carried on the frozen fish in a soft cooler.

As far as tackle goes for a So Cal trip...you could honestly get away with a few packs of live bait hooks and some leader spools.

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

american has rod length exceptions as well.

Thanks, I missed AA's exceptions.

I re-read SouthWest baggage policy (listed below) and they permit rods cases up 91" long and OD of 3" plus a tackle box/bag for Free for as one of your free checked bags. On America they would be $15 or $25 each way.

SW -- "Fishing rods and tackle boxes will be accepted as checked or carryon baggage provided the carryon rod fits securely in the overhead bin when enclosed in a cylindrical fishing rod container. A container may be purchased from Southwest Airlines for $10.00. When checking rods, containers may measure three inches in diameter and up to 91 inches in length. Fishing equipment includes a fishing rod and a fishing tackle box."

AA - "Fishing Two rods and one reel contained in a case and one bag with fishing tackle, landing net and fishing boots. Two pieces - Fishing rod case and fishing equipment bag are charged the applicable checked bag charge for the 1st or 2nd checked bag. When in excess, each item will be subject to the baggage charge for a single piece.
    Max size -- Fishing rod case 50 lbs.115 inches, Equipment bag 50 lbs.
    62 inches. For purposes of excess baggage, two pieces count as one item"

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is advisable to bring a printout of rod regulations of the airline you take with you. COPA tried to impose a penalty on my rod case which is about 6 ft when I flied from NY to Panama. He asked other personnel to check the regulations upon my insist and they finally let it go without any penalty.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I didn't have any extra fee for my rod case on American going to or from Costa Rica. They did however make me pay $60 extra for my wifes luggage case which weighed over 50#s on the way back home. It hit the scales at 58 pounds. That's $7.50 per pound. On the flight down, it hit the scales at 51 pounds and they waved the extra fee.

Once in Costa Rica, the rod case was considered a sporting item and it cost $75 each way from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez. They also charged me extra for the additional weight of luggage. The hopper planes
    (Nature Air) only allow you 30#s of luggage per person. That includes your carry on bags and woman's purse. You pay by the pound for anything over 30#'s. I had over 40#'s of jig's alone with me.

Here's the real shocker. If you get on the scale and weigh over 250#'s with all your clothes and shoes on, you have to buy another plane ticket and they don't give you a second seat. The little 50 minute plane ride can add up to a considerable amount of money. I think the normal price of that little flight is $118 per person each way. Add in all the extras and that little round trip flight for two people is a the price of a new 20K-SW Stella.

One more note. My wife had reserved us seats six months ahead of this trip. She went on line to about a month ahead of the trip to confirm we still had seats. Well, to make a long story short, those seats were history and the only seats available for purchase with a month to go were first class. The seats were $1820.00 a person round trip. So, make sure you file your confirmation number ahead of time somewhere in a safe filing cabinet or be prepared to open up your wallet.