SIG Knot Steps

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Dec 3, 2008.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I was asked about the SIG knot on another site. Since I'd taken the photos, I thought that I would post them here as well. Here are my thoughts on Pros and Cons compared with the MID knot:

Mid: Smaller, no stop knot to catch on guides. Cons: Single line pulls leader.

SIG: Stop knot makes for sure pull up, easier to pull up on moving boat, fewer steps (after Bimini is tied), doubled line pulls leader. Cons: Have to tie the Bimini too, Bimini and/or Stop knot can catch.

How to:
    Go to Japantackle.com for the basic SIG instructions. So that the tag of the leader exits the stop knot parallel to the main line, I use a double overhand rather than a double uni. Once the bimini is tied (and you can cut the leader off and reuse the bimini by cutting the leader close to the top of the SIG knot), this knot just takes a minute to tie--but half an hour to photograph.

Notes:
    As you pull up the braid to tighten this knot, make sure the two legs of the Bimini are equal by pulling from the single line above the Bimini.
    Tie the overhand knot so the braid and tag end of the leader exit the loop in the same way.

Here is the knot in steps, attached as photos:

Attached Files:

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Looks interesting. What % strength do you get from the knot?

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice job.

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Looks interesting. What % strength do you get from the knot?

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice job.

I started to respond and realized that I had never measured the actual breaking strength on the line on a 950 ssm reel that I'd used all Fall and used to bring 4 60"-class tuna to the boat. I was told that the line was 50# test but never felt the knots tested that well on it (as opposed to my other reels).

So I just went and tested it: the actual breaking strength of the 50# test on my reel is--for sure--between 40 and 45 pounds! This is more consistent with the actual-breaking-strength of 30# braid! I'm headed back to the tackle shop ...

When I test this knot by lifting weights 50# braid (that I now know is 30# braid with 40+# actual test), 50# fluoro, the fluoro leader always breaks first at about 45#.

While fishing from September through November, I had no SIG knot or braid failures but the maximum drag was only 25# or so. I did have a coastlock swivel failure (100# SPRO) and a leader-to-lure knot failure (fluoro fatique near knot).

Because the SIG uses a doubled line, the Bimini becomes the weak link. I use 70 initial turns to get 30 or so twists under the top wraps. I've tested this a couple dozen times and the Bimini breaks at just above 40# (so the Bimini tests near 100%). I have also eliminated the Bimini by pulling from both legs of the Bimini loop (made it large). Then the 50# fluoro leader breaks at about 45#.

So because it uses doubled line, the SIG tests at something above 100% but I don't know how high. What I know for certain is that it's not the weakest link.

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

id rather just tie a unito uni...if you really want you can just double up on the braid side of the uniand tieit

5. Eastern Tackle

Thanks for the response Pamet. Great information there based on some real life tests.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

That was cool,

Thanks for the information and photos offered and I'll mess with it.

Kev

7. Dorymate2530

Dorymate2530 Junior member

Interesting, I'll have to try it.

8. Eastern Tackle

I have messed with it some. It finishes much like a slim beauty knot. I do like a single overhand knot in the mono vs a double, just like with the slim b, I only use a single overhand knot. It is much more streamlined that way and I haven't been able to see any difference in performance.