360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Sig 229

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ReelMe 
#1 ·
Need help from you handgun experts...A good friend has a like-new Sig 229 in .357 cal that belonged to his dad. Has maybe 50 rounds through it. I asked him which model and he does not know, just tells me Sig229.

My questions are....

Is the 229 (.357) capable of interchangeable barrel? 10mm?

In great condition what is it worth? My friend will not screw me on this, most likely will take any fair price so I don't want to screw him either.

Thanks for any feedback...Gimmedeal, Louis??

Dale

#2 ·
I'm no expert, but I'd say you could convert to .40 easily since it's the same patent case. 10 mm seems to require heavier frames/springs like a .45. 9mm is likely available too. Value is probably $700 give or take.

I sure like the way Sigs fit my hand. Darn good shooters too.

I

#3 ·
I recently traded away my Sig 227 Tactical (.45). (I liked it, just wanted something new)
I would say that the 229 could be valued anywhere between $700-$900 depending on model and condition etc.. (large range, I know).
I saw MidwayUsa sold a converstion barrel from .357sig to .40S&W. I didn't see one for 9mm, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking..

#4 ·
Sig 229 is the model number. The .357 Sig/.40 S&W barrels and magazines are interchangeable. I believe you would need a slide and magazine for the 9mm option. I have a couple of 229's with 357/40 barrels and Sig night sights. First shot is DOA then SA. They have a decocker. Included in the box is a test fired target so you can validate its accuracy. They're excellent shooters. I also have 220's, 226's and a 228 - guess you could say I like Sigs.

IMO a 229 (with only a couple or boxes through it) in 357 Sig with night sights + 2 mags @ $700 is a deal.

Good luck with your decision Dale.

#8 ·
Which Glock PF?
I'm thinking about a Glock for concealed carry. Compact, 9mm. 23 maybe? I liked the idea of the 43 but I think it's just too small to hold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.