Shulure & Grouper

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by The Business, Nov 23, 2008.

1. The Business

The Business Member

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Never tried those but all the grouper jigging expers in NC swear using smaller jigs produce bigger bites for grouper. Ive seen it first hand. Two very well known jigs are grouper killers down there ... and as always glow or red works best

Smith Dunkshot

Angler's Pro Shop

Seven Seas Hookers

Angler's Pro Shop

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Glenn, I know you like to use jigs regardless of prices once you like them, but it is not for me. :) I sell Seven Seas Hooker jigs, but I can not recommend them for grouper as you lose too many jigs for bottom fishing. I am using the jigs just for tuna. :)
    I have been searching for grouper jigs which work better than simple and cheap diamond/hammered diamond jigs, but I still haven't found them. Many guys in Florida have success with bucktail jigs and I plan to test bucktails jigs intensively.

Shimano's Butterfly Flat-side jigs should work for grouper. The jigs have been my favorite for tuna, but I didn't know the jigs work great for bottom dwellers until I tried them for cod last week.

The other jig I found recentlyt is Octopus Jigs from Norway. I haven't tried the jigs for grouper yet, I feel the jigs should work great for grouper and halibut.

[​IMG]

I haven't tried Norway's Viking jigs for grouper much, but a guy I know used 9 oz Solvkroken Viking jigs to catch three groupers upto 55 lbs on a party boat out of Panama City, Fl years ago.

[​IMG]

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think a big leadhead and plastic tails should work as well - though theyre similar to bucktails.

that octopus jig looks pretty neat. how heavy does it come

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

i think a big leadhead and plastic tails should work as well - though theyre similar to bucktails.

that octopus jig looks pretty neat. how heavy does it come

It comes with 5 oz, 9 oz and 14 oz.
    I wish I found the jigs before I went halibut fishing in Alaska. :)

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i was thinking that halibut jigs should work well for grouper. i wonder how the octopus jigs would work for bottom fish in the NE as well. if they fish with them in norway i'd imagine cod in the US would hit them too

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I used to use the old style butterfly shulure jigs and they are sold right here in Niceville, Fl.

8. The Business

The Business Member

Thanks guys for all the input, looks like I need to order some jigs.

Ksong - where could you order the Octopus jigs?

Spiney - How did they work for you?

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Look at the medium bodied 110 gr and you will see how the old ones were. I fished right along side of 2 people with Shimano regulars and caught as many fish at 1/3 rd the price. I bet those octopus jigs would work killer awesome if they weren't too expensive. Whole octopus is one of the best big grouper baits I know of.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks guys for all the input, looks like I need to order some jigs.

Ksong - where could you order the Octopus jigs?

Spiney - How did they work for you?

I said I found them for my shop. :) They are available in early Dec.
    Check my website though it is not completed. It is in Norwegian jig category.

Network Solutions E-Commerce Web Site - Norwegian Jigs

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Look at the medium bodied 110 gr and you will see how the old ones were. I fished right along side of 2 people with Shimano regulars and caught as many fish at 1/3 rd the price. I bet those octopus jigs would work killer awesome if they weren't too expensive. Whole octopus is one of the best big grouper baits I know of.
    The best bait for halibut is octopus too. That is why I said those jigs should work for grouper and halibut.

12. The Business

The Business Member

Well I look forward to placing my first order. Would you rig them with a treble hook or an assist hook?

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Well I look forward to placing my first order. Would you rig them with a treble hook or an assist hook?
    They come with treble hooks. I'd rather replace the treble hooks to single hooks or assist hooks.

I just talked with a guy on the phone who invented gold hammered diamond jigs. He said he has special jigs for grouper.
    I'll find out soon.

14. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Kil: Catching grouper is not a problem, finding them is. A grouper will hit just about anything. I have caught box car loads on just plain white leadhead jigs, plain jane with no additives or attractants.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: Catching grouper is not a problem, finding them is. A grouper will hit just about anything. I have caught box car loads on just plain white leadhead jigs, plain jane with no additives or attractants.
    I fished grouper from Mexico City, Panama City to Destin in Panhandle, Fl and they hit pretty good on jigs. However it is really hard to get grouper on jigs in other areas most of time.
    I fished with commercial fishermen out of NC and it is normal I catch one or two on jigs while he catches 10 -15 on baits.
    While grouper fishing with Tommy Butler out of St. Pertersburg, Fl years ago, we got over 100 grouper, but only a few were caught on jigs though my friend and I jigged pretty hard all day.

16. WhiteLakeBuc

WhiteLakeBuc Senior Member

Big bucktails with a large plastic trailer has landed more grouper for me this year than metal. I busted up some nice reds and gags yesterday on metal and bucktails. 6 oz shimano flatside in squid glow and 4 to 6 oz bucktails with either a Gulp! or large curly tail are my go to baits for grouper jigging. Dunkshots are good but overrated for grouper jigging.

Grouper jigging is about matching the hatch. 2 weeks ago, we were not getting bit on the jig. A friend catches one on bait and in the boat, the grouper spits up a 10 inch sea bass. I switched over to large jigs and started getting bit. Yesterday, a 20 lb red grouper was spitting up cigar minnows about 3 inches long. Downsized to a 3 oz diamond jig and was getting cracked on every drop.

Grouper jigging is challenging. I like it :)

17. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Kil: We used to tear them up over at Canaveral on jigs also. That is where i learned to jig for grouper back in the mid 70's.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Big bucktails with a large plastic trailer has landed more grouper for me this year than metal. I busted up some nice reds and gags yesterday on metal and bucktails. 6 oz shimano flatside in squid glow and 4 to 6 oz bucktails with either a Gulp! or large curly tail are my go to baits for grouper jigging. Dunkshots are good but overrated for grouper jigging.

Grouper jigging is about matching the hatch. 2 weeks ago, we were not getting bit on the jig. A friend catches one on bait and in the boat, the grouper spits up a 10 inch sea bass. I switched over to large jigs and started getting bit. Yesterday, a 20 lb red grouper was spitting up cigar minnows about 3 inches long. Downsized to a 3 oz diamond jig and was getting cracked on every drop.

Grouper jigging is challenging. I like it :)
    Pete, I might drive down to NC this weekend as weather looks good in NC. Grouper jigging one day and AJ jigging next day.
    I talked with Capt today and he got 29 keeper gag grouper (total weight 300 lbs) between two while releasing many shorts yesterday. Gag grouper is pretty challenging to catch on jigs for me. I might go grouper fishing on Thursday or Sunday. So I can fish Friday or Sat for AJ jigging. Can you talk with Steve whether he can go ?

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: We used to tear them up over at Canaveral on jigs also. That is where i learned to jig for grouper back in the mid 70's.
    I don't know why. Grouper in some areas are very responsive to jig while they are lockjaw on jigs in other areas.
    I found groupers in Middle Ground off Tarpon Spring, Fl like jigs. I had 25 grouper on jigs on 44 hour trip on the Viking out of Tarpon Spring, FL.

I fished on paty boats out of Port Canaveral in late 70', but I was concentrating on snapper fishing that time. :)

20. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Which boat. The Pelican or the Miss Cape canaveral? We used to have a lot better results off Canaveral with hard jigging ( lifting up and dropping down like worm fishing for bass ). Here in Destin very little movement is best.