Shrimp Charter

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by MrBill, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I received a phone call last night from a friend asking me to join him on a shrimp charter. You heard me right. "Shrimp Charter". This one friend is always finding the strangest things to entertain himself.:)

He found a guy that has a 50' bay style shrimping boat that he docks in Conn Brown harbor in Aransas Pass, Tx. He has a commercial shrimping permit. This is how it works. He gets $800 for the charter. You get on his shrimp boat (which he says is the nicest bay shrimper in Texas) and he takes you out shrimping. You get to keep up to 200 pounds of shrimp and any of the by-catch.

From what I was told, Aug 15th opens up the white shrimp season in the bay. The white shrimp are less acidic than the gulf shrimp and still have that GOM taste to them. The shrimp will be culled by you and you can keep all the jumbo's or any size you desire up to 200#'s. That must be a law. Crabs and ribbon fish also fill up the net. The charter last up to 8 hours. If you get you 200# in the first couple of drags, he will just cruise around and watch you drink beer.:eek:

He also is open to shrimping in the gulf if you desire. You bring tons of ice chests and a folding chair. You sit and drink beer while he drags the nets. Being an open minded guy I said I would do it. I think it will be an interesting day on the water. I'm not sure how many crab's you can keep, but it sounded like you will have more crabs than shrimp.:D

Cooking fresh crabs is a PITA. We both have those turkey fryers with portable propane tanks. I think it would be an a major setup to boil a few hundred crabs and pick out the meat. Especially after drinking all day.:rolleyes:

2. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Sounds like a great time if I lived closer I'd have to give this one a try.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

200lb of shrimp per person or per boat?

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

200lb of shrimp per person or per boat?

Not sure. I didn't even ask that question. I'll try and find out this evening. There will be only two of us, so 100#s of 10-12 count shrimp is plenty for me. My friend is more interested in the by-catch and drinking. :eek:

5. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

I received a phone call last night from a friend asking me to join him on a shrimp charter. You heard me right. "Shrimp Charter". This one friend is always finding the strangest things to entertain himself.:)

Strange? Yep, you can say that again! :D

But one must give props to the shrimp boat captain; he's figured a way to go shrimping and make his payments on his boat without having to do anything but drive the boat! ;) :p :)

Man, if I was closer (or could figure a way to transport 200lbs of shrimp back to NoVA), I'd give this a shot! :cool:

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

When I get permanently situated in Rockport, my answer to this will be (as gimmedeal is fond of saying: "Oh, yeah!"

Russ

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wait is it $800 per person?

8. fonz

fonz Member

I went out several times in the past with a shrimper out of Port Lavaca, about 10 years ago.. He charged about 500. Out of the 4-5 times we went out with him, we only came home with good shrimp once...only about 40#.
    The other times we came home with popcorn shrimp.
    Very little crabs...
    It might be better shrimping over there?

Any way, we can get reports of what has been caught recently?
    Ofcourse when the season opens...

9. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Sounds interesting. If I was alot closer I would probably give it a try at least once.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I would join the charter if they troll in Gulf of Mexico and tuna are behind it. :)

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I thought that myself, Kil.

Now, MrBill, I got to thinking--that comes out to 4 bucks a pound--andI can buy it a lot of times at the dock in Rockport for about 5 bucks, without having to sit on the boat and get drunk....oh,wait.

Russ

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

It's $800 for the boat. $100 per hour, 8 hr min. You can quit anytime prior to the eight hours, but $800 is the amount you will pay. The rules are funny. The more shrimp you keep, the less by-catch you can keep. You can keep over 200#s total for the boat if you don't take any of the by-catch. I just got the guy's phone number and email address from my friend. I will email him and try to phone him tomorrow. My friend wants to keep a bunch of Menhaden as they sell for $2.50 a pound at the bait houses.:eek: He has bought over $750 worth of menhaden this year. It's $25 for a 10# box.

You can also keep up to 300 dozen (3600) ribbonfish. You can also keep up to 150 live baits. I'm a little confused about the rules, so don't hold me to the above limits, until I hear from the horses mouth. My friend is pulling it from his distorted memory.:eek:

Uncle Russ. Nice size shrimp off the shrimp boats are about $6 a pound. I'm not looking at it as a monetary thing per pound of shrimp. I just want to do it because it will be interesting and entertaining as my friend is quite a character. That poor shrimp boat guy might take us back early.:eek:

It get more interesting as the boat is up for sale. The guy just put it into top shape and it's a side line for him. My friend wants me to go in with him and buy the shrimp boat. He thinks it would be cool to own. We could shrimp and drink on rough days like today.:D

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Uh, well, how should I ask this? Does your uh "friend" happen to be someone who is known for engaging in occasional uncontrolled projectile excretion in chests of drawers? (This is beginning to make terrible sense and could turn out very, very wrong.) I'm just sayin'. :D

Russ

14. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

ya only live once.. I would love to do it, just to say "Hey, I did it!"... :) Besides... a couple 30W on standup sticks and some cull out in the gulf.. might have some shark or tuna fun :)

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if it was $800 for the boat and we had 8 guys i'd be game. otherwise it doesn't seem worth it

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You can also keep up to 300 dozen (3600) ribbonfish.
    Don't tell any Korean living in Texas. If you do, you'll have hard time to charter the boat again. :)

17. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

This sounds great. Shrimping and other forms of fair chase commercial fishing are dissapearing faster than you can say snapper. And if you go, then you will be able to tell you grand kids that you fished on a shrimp boat.

When they ask whats that? You can tell them, before we relied on the far east to net the shrimp out of doo doo ponds, they actually caught them in the ocean.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Don't tell any Korean living in Texas. If you do, you'll have hard time to charter the boat again. :)

i am going to use the ocea pencil next big e trip in the ribbonfish color. if it works, i will fight them tooth and nail to catch ribbonfish...but i'll use for tuna bait :)

19. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

doo doo ponds.. LMAO!!!!

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

MrBill,
    Is that per person or for the day?

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MrBill,
    Is that per person or for the day?

I just finished talking to the Capt of the shrimp boat. He moved the boat from Conn Brown harbor to Port Lavaca five days ago because he was afraid Dolly might come farther north than predicted. He is a licensed Coast Guard Capt with a 6-pack license. Because of the price of fuel, he is charging $125 per hour with a 6 hour minimum. That is the price of the boat with him. One client or up to 6 clients, the price is still $125 per hour.

Aug 15th, white shrimp opens. This is an unlimited haul season starting date. In other words, if you catch (and it does happen) 1200 pounds of shrimp you get to keep them. You can keep up to 50% of weight by-catch.

Example: If you net 500lbs of shrimp, you can also keep 250lbs of by-catch.

He has another job working in the oil field. He says it's to risky to be in the shrimp business full time with these high fuel prices. Regulations are a lot stricter than in the past. He told me that it is very common to pull up 200lbs of shrimp per drag when conditions are right. If you don't do well the first drag, the rest of the day will probably suck. He said shrimping is just like fishing. Some days they bite, some days they have lock jaw.

I'm not real fired up about going to Port Lavaca for a shrimp charter. He is going to keep the boat there until he sells it. Port Lavaca is closer to home for him than Aransas Pass. I am going to keep in touch with him and if he says shrimping is good, me and a friend will take off to Port Lavaca and give it a go. He said that later in the season (Oct-Nov) the shrimp get smaller as that large ones migrate into the gulf.