Show me your homemade Line Winding Machines

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Mar 29, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I have to load some 130lb JB Hollow Core on a few reels, but have had a hard time making my own line winding machine that could put 5 lbs of pressure on the spool. The reels are all conventionals.

Anyone have a homemade winder that they could explain and perhaps some pics?

Thanks,

John

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I have to load some 130lb JB Hollow Core on a few reels, but have had a hard time making my own line winding machine that could put 5 lbs of pressure on the spool. The reels are all conventionals.

Anyone have a homemade winder that they could explain and perhaps some pics?

Thanks,

John

John,

The simplest would be to wind the line onto an empty conventional reel, then set the drag to 5-10 pounds. Wind line onto the new conventional reel from the temporary reel slowly so you don't overheat the drag.

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I'm sure there are better ways, but I learned this from other members and it works very well for me.

Use lower half of 2 piece rod to mount reel. Get a sturdy, long screwdriver and put it through the spool. Get an old towel and dampen it. Sit in a comfortable chair. Put the spool and damp towel on the floor between your feet. Point the rod down at the spool. (May need a helper if you don't have a short rod section like this.) Put pressure on the spool by pushing down with your feet and start cranking. Trust me, you'll get as much tension as you can handle!

If you're doing it right there is serious heat generated. So make sure to use a wet towel! If not, you will melt the spool and your rug!

I guess I'd like to have a specific jig too. But this works so well I haven't messed with anything else. My next step will likely be a quality power winder instead!

Jason

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

I'm sure there are better ways, but I learned this from other members and it works very well for me.

Use lower half of 2 piece rod to mount reel. Get a sturdy, long screwdriver and put it through the spool. Get an old towel and dampen it. Sit in a comfortable chair. Put the spool and damp towel on the floor between your feet. Point the rod down at the spool. (May need a helper if you don't have a short rod section like this.) Put pressure on the spool by pushing down with your feet and start cranking. Trust me, you'll get as much tension as you can handle!

If you're doing it right there is serious heat generated. So make sure to use a wet towel! If not, you will melt the spool and your rug!

I guess I'd like to have a specific jig too. But this works so well I haven't messed with anything else. My next step will likely be a quality power winder instead!

Jason
    that method works for me. no problems with it at all. and yes the spool will melt hahaha.

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I have found several uses for the Electra-mate crank adaptor.
    One is on a 9\0 which I can load line onto from spool with electric drill.
    Then transfer line on to intended reel by hand with drag set as desired.

Adaptor $19.99 from Electra-mate last time I looked.

K2

Attached Files:

6. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Thanks guys, this is a lot of help. I have that line winder MadMarlin shows, but with the single rod. The springs are supposed to compress the spool of line, but the stock spring could only do about 1/2 lb of pressure. I hit my local hardware store and got a much stronger spring, but could only manage 2 lbs of pressure. 5 lbs of pressure is a lot. I may try another spring on the other side.