Shimano

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rtran, Jun 19, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

This reel was my primary reel used for casting poppers to YFT and BFT on the June 13-15 Big E trip.

This was my first real test of the saragosa rated drag and durablity.

I used the reel at over 25lb's of drag at times and drag was very smooth. The internals also seem very strong as I cranked blackfin in as fast as I could.

During battle with 100lb tuna the reel was a monster. No problems!

After 52 hour trip of YFT and plentiful blackfin it still spun smooth and drag never fault once.

This reel is a very good buy for the money as it provides smooth drag and good cranking power. It also has nice finish that did not chip easily when banged around during hot bites.

[​IMG]

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Rich you didn't change the drag washers or anything right?

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Rich you didn't change the drag washers or anything right?

I used right out of box Brian.

4. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I used right out of box Brian.

What pound braid did you use on your saragosa.
    I'm thinking of putting 50pnd when I get one.

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Gozz, I recommend 65lb. Some will recommend 80lb.

Scott

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

What pound braid did you use on your saragosa.
    I'm thinking of putting 50pnd when I get one.

I use PE6/60LB line.

7. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Not sure how you guys do it but down here we fish 1/3 of the braking strain of your fishing line.
    These new Saragosa reels run 44pound of drag,so if your running 1/3 of 60pnd braid that means 20 to 25pnds of drag would be all you need.
    So these reels are running at half of what there rated at.
    You can't ask for more them that.
    Purevl sound's like you where fishing the same way.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Not sure how you guys do it but down here we fish 1/3 of the braking strain of your fishing line.
    These new Saragosa reels run 44pound of drag,so if your running 1/3 of 60pnd braid that means 20 to 25pnds of drag would be all you need.
    So these reels are running at half of what there rated at.
    You can't ask for more them that.
    Purevl sound's like you where fishing the same way.

Gozz,

You hit it dead on. I fish 1/3 the lines breaking strength most of the time and can push it a little more if need. I am currently using YGK Dyneema Jigman which has higher rated breaking strength. IE 60lb/PE6 break at close to 90lb. Very thin line but very strong also. The reel can handled less than 30lb easily and very smoothly. I am sure this reel can do what it is rated for.

9. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I'll be buying a seragosa 18000 soon coupled to a T-curve 400 jig stick.
    But we do have a heap of other species we chase hrer including mako sharks,king fish which would be perfectly suited to this reel and rod.
    I was also thinking of the new spheros FB 18000.
    Any thought on this reel.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'll be buying a seragosa 18000 soon coupled to a T-curve 400 jig stick.
    But we do have a heap of other species we chase hrer including mako sharks,king fish which would be perfectly suited to this reel and rod.
    I was also thinking of the new spheros FB 18000.
    Any thought on this reel.

For the money the saragosa is a better buy IMO. You already seen how it performs out the box plus it looks great. I have not seen any reviews on the new spheros yet. Saragosa took the crowd.

11. cheers

cheers Guest

Gday fellas, new member here so only my second post. :D

Like Gozz, I'm also interested in a Saragosa... In particular, the 14000 size. Is there any reason this reel is heavier than the 18000?

Down here in Australia, the difference in price is $110 (approx. $US100) between the 14000 and 18000 for some reason? Besides the slight weight difference, only other difference I could see is that the 18000 holds about 30yds more line. Is this true?

Also, and sorry for the barrage of questions, could any of you guys recommend a good PE4 (or 40lb-ish) line? With our $ currently strong against yours, buying from the States has never been better! :D

12. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Hey Cheers how's it going man.Cheers is my fishing buddy.
    Where both after the same reel apart from size,I like the 18000.
    A quick question from me to please.Where is the best and cheapest place to buy one of these reels.
    Thank you.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Gday fellas, new member here so only my second post. :D

Like Gozz, I'm also interested in a Saragosa... In particular, the 14000 size. Is there any reason this reel is heavier than the 18000?

Down here in Australia, the difference in price is $110 (approx. $US100) between the 14000 and 18000 for some reason? Besides the slight weight difference, only other difference I could see is that the 18000 holds about 30yds more line. Is this true?

Also, and sorry for the barrage of questions, could any of you guys recommend a good PE4 (or 40lb-ish) line? With our $ currently strong against yours, buying from the States has never been better! :D

They seem identical other than the spool. 18000 is a little smaller therefore little less weight. For jigging I would recommend YGK Jigman Dyneema or OTI line although OTI does not have PE4. You will have plenty of line loading the 18000 with PE6 - over 300m.

tackledirect.com has these reels in stock and they ship worldwide.

14. cheers

cheers Guest

They seem identical other than the spool. 18000 is a little smaller therefore little less weight. For jigging I would recommend YGK Jigman Dyneema or OTI line although OTI does not have PE4. You will have plenty of line loading the 18000 with PE6 - over 300m.

tackledirect.com has these reels in stock and they ship worldwide.
    Thanks buddy! Will definitely keep an eye out for some Jigman. :D

15. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

PurEvl I just ordered a 18000 saragosa,should have it in about a week.
    Which braid do you have on yours and how many pnds, think you mentioned 65pnd somewhere earlier.
    Also how do you rig from your braid to you leader.

Oh how many yards of braid did you fit on the spool.

Thanks buddy.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Which braid do you have on yours and how many pnds, think you mentioned 65pnd somewhere earlier.

Thanks buddy.
    i've got 100lb braid on mine. got close to 300 yds.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks buddy.

I have PE6/60LB on mine right now. You could also load with 80lb/PE8 and it should be fine. I have the PE line connected to the leader with a PR knot. I believe I have over 400m of PE6 on the reel.

18. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thanks dude.
    Some friends are going to Tassie tonight chasing 100 kilo plus tuna.
    I'll let you guys know how the go.
    Last trip they got 3 at 80kg to just over 100 kg using 20000 stellas.

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Cool picture put in first post, OTI rod matched with saragosa look great.

20. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Cool picture put in first post, OTI rod matched with saragosa look great.

That is a cool pic.

Very nice.