shimano

Discussion in 'Reels' started by TU-NA, Mar 31, 2008.

1. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

Does anyone have any experience with this reel ,Good or Bad? [​IMG]

2. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

I am planning on using the Tyrnos 12 II Speed this summer on my jigging rod -I will be loading the reel with straight 65 lb braid - should be able to get 450 yds +/- on the reel - I will be targeting SBFT's to 150 lbs - Not sure how the reel will stand up - It should be fun.

3. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

with 33 #s of drag you would think it would be allright, i bought one a while back took it out a couple of times but only cuaght a few nice snapper and a whole bunch of black fin , it did really well just wondering what others have experienced! thanks

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I was thinking of picking up one of those tyrnos 16 single speeds, but they seem to be pretty heavy compared to a saltiga or accurate.

5. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

they're heavy but cheap and sturdy, and should pull plenty of drag, on the other hand you could also buy an avet if you need a lot of drag in a little reel

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I think I'm going to pick up a Tyrnos 30 for chunking. Sound good?

7. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

my friend has one its good for that, but i really dont think you need a 30 , the 12 , 16, 20 and the 30 all have 33#s of drag,but i guess if you wanna use all mono than the 30 would be the way to go! I have 500 yds of 100# braid on my 16II with some room left for a mono top shot!

8. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

500 yds of 100 braid on a Tyrnos 16II - WOW - what kind of braid are you using? Cause I'm thinking I'm only going to be able to get about 400 yds of 65 Power Pro braid on my 12II.

9. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

500 yds of 100 braid on a Tyrnos 16II - WOW - what kind of braid are you using? Cause I'm thinking I'm only going to be able to get about 400 yds of 65 Power Pro braid on my 12II.
    spiderwire stealth braid. 17# diameter ! Yea a 12II will hold about 400 yards of 100 # braid , it is a little smaller!

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

shhhh! spiderwire stealth aint no good :) ... Forest Gump voice: "Its my fav-o-rite!".... that coating slides through the guides.. makes topwaters sing!

tyrnos 16-2speed... hmmm. peaked my interest :)

11. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

It will sling the shlitz out of a kamodo popper !!!!!

12. Josh

Josh Guest

i just got rid of my tyr30II it just couldnt take the long runs at over 20#s of drag its verry smooth and holds up at 15-20#s drag. Im getting ready to try a 16II for jigging and live baiting if it has the same drag as a 30II and look for a set of carbontex drags for it. i think if the drags are the same as a 30 were the spool is smaller it should handle the pressure a little better but i wont hold my breath.

13. TU-NA

TU-NA Guest

i just got rid of my tyr30II it just couldnt take the long runs at over 20#s of drag its verry smooth and holds up at 15-20#s drag. Im getting ready to try a 16II for jigging and live baiting if it has the same drag as a 30II and look for a set of carbontex drags for it. i think if the drags are the same as a 30 were the spool is smaller it should handle the pressure a little better but i wont hold my breath.
    What do you mean it could handle it what would happen , i witnessed my friend catch some 100# tunas and never had any problems! And if ther was a problem, buying 16II probablly wont be any better

ii

14. Josh

Josh Guest

well i got mine wen they first came out so i dont know if it was an early fault or it was just a lemon. but wen i say it couldnt handle it i mean tht after the drags got hot about 1/2 spool down the drag went from around 20# to mabe 10#, ive been to the knot on the spool a few times and it just couldnt handle the bigger yft it was excellent for smaller tuna and dolphin and an extreemly smooth drag system.
    anyway do you know if there are any drag upgrades for the 16II?