Shimano Trinidad DC

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gimmedeal, May 1, 2008.

1. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I know, it's a gimmick, but I really just had to know first hand. I bought a 30DC to try out. I'll be taking it on the Firecracker 4th Big E trip. I've put it on a 70h Calstar and I'm gonna give it a fling. I can't tell what difference there is except for the electronics between this reel and the 30 Trinidad. It does put out more drag, 10kg up from 7kg on the standard. The star drag adjustment is different, it's forged instead of stamped and is really nice. As soon as I get a couple of hours to fling it in the park I'll post up how well it casts and how well it controls backlash.
    Has anybody else already tried this reel?

Fred

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

ive tried the calcuttas, and to my surprised they actually did control backlash.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Fred: At last, you have purchased a piece of tackle I will not be tempted to steal.

Russ

4. gman

gman Senior Member

I saw it in person its a sweet reel

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I worry about electronics going bad. I was going to buy a Duramax Diesel with an Allison transmission, until one day, on a bulletin board where folks discussed only those engines and transmission, a GMC engineer explained that if the computer on the transmission was not properly upgraded to "talk" to the engine computer, you would get excessive smoke. That did if for an old fart like me who still wishes distributors had points you could set and file. No electronics on reels for this old man.

Russ

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I think you made a great choice. Throwing poppers off the Big E is mostly about how far you can throw it and avoiding downtime with windon knots or overruns. If you can load that sucker with 80 pound braid, buy a 50 pound 7 and 1/2 to 8 foot rod, and heave it as hard as you can, then it will be great for the big E. Man, I never thought to use one, but you have stirred my curiosity. That reel is light and has enough drag. You may be the casting champ if you match that reel with something like a acid wrapped 8 foot GUSA Wahoo rod (The Wahoo may have too stiff of a tip for the medium or smaller poppers and swimbaits). You sure would stand out!

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I was curious but wasn't going to try one of these reels. Retail, (the Shimano price) on the thing is around $750 and even if it worked as advertised, that seemed to be pricey for a single speed conventional reel. However it does have sufficient drag and is supposed to cast a long way with the electronics. What made me a player was a bottom dweller deal. I got it new for $400. Figured now it is worth a try. If it works out well, I'll probably have a rod built on an OTI 7 1/2 blank for the portability.
    TJ, are there any of those blanks left?
    And Russ, I fished the Mitchells loaded up with mono when I was growing up too, but wouldn't you really rather have a Stella loaded up with Depthfinder?

Fred

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Yes, Ihave few of those blanks in stock.

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

50 or the 80? What do you think? I'm thinkin' the 50 would be perfect.

Fred

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Fred: Damned right on the Stella over the Mitchell--it isn't new technology I object to--just anything that achieves its result wholly or in part by binary calculations.

But I have to admit that the price was right. :)

Russ

11. bunile

bunile Senior Member

I would like to hear what is going on inside this reel that is making the backlash dissapear. Is it just " factory magged " then in other words?, (that I get) but "It remembers the reels velocity and then only releases that what is needed to exactly control overspin" ? That sounds like bulloney!!! ,,, My Idea of a remote controlled helicopter that carries a jig out 300yards. and then drops it right on target sounds more believable.

12. outofcontrol

outofcontrol Junior member

I talked to a sales guy at the FTU I-10 store the other day that stated he used the Trinidad DC combo'd with the new FTU Spinning rod on the Big E. He said that he was casting futher than the guys throwing spinners, and he also mentioned that conventional reels always win the distance casting contest ( I have no idea if this is true). I inquired about how the tuna fishing was on the trip and he replyed that flyers were every where and no YFT only BFT. I have thrown the calcutta DC and it worked very well, my only complaint was that, that I can not palm that reels design.

13. gman

gman Senior Member

how can he use a conventional reel on a spinning rod, that would be awkward

14. outofcontrol

outofcontrol Junior member

Sorry mis-spoke(typed) same blank as the spinner just different configuration for a conv. They were trying to sell me the spinning rod model.

15. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

TxSeadog will build the rod. Gonna have it acid wrapped. Selected a 50lb 7 1/2' OTI blank for the portability of the 2 piece rod. This ought to let me cast light to med heavy baits and handle the drag that the DC puts out. The one piece 8' GUSA was tempting but impractical for me. I'll post it up when he gets the rod done. I'm really curious how this combo will perform against the spinners on the Firecracker 4th Big E trip.

Fred

16. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

17. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Here is the diagram on the Shimano DCs http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/08TN30DC_v1_m56577569830637843.pdf It is interesting Shimano marketing as I only see magnets and no digital technology. None the less, I am tempted by the reel and hope it works awesome. Perhaps the digital dial contains the digital chip. It is nteresting how they do not label the digital dial on the diagram.

It's very interesting how the magnets are mounted on the spool, not on the side plate. The Trinidad DC doesn't seem to have the digital control coil pack that the Calcuttas do... I've yet to see a disassembled Trini DC and the "Digital Control" assembly, but I've got a suspicion that this may be a case of massive marketing and less substance ;)

On the beaches of the East Coast, magged reels are nothing new, the most popular of which are the Penn 525 Mags. Magnetic braking works on the Lenz Law, which basically states that a spinning metallic, non-magnetic object (such as the aluminum spool) generates a magnetic field proportional to the speed it's spinning. By placing magnets on a side plate of a conventional reel near the side of the spool, the mags will slow the reel down when the spool is at it's max speed. At slow speeds, the spool does not generate a detectible magnetic field, thus the magnets do not have an effect on it. By varying the strength of the mags (usually varying the number of magnets or the distance between them and the side of the spool), the reel can be tuned to perform at a certain level (ie casting far with heavy lures, or casting short with light lures) with no backlashes. Having an adjustable control means that it can be easily dialed in, while static mags require partial disassembly of the reel.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I know lots of guys who mag reels here as well for surf casting