Shimano Torsa vs Boss?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tmd, Mar 13, 2009.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

i was told that Torsa TS-30 is the best single speed lever drag available. how true this is? how does it compare to accurate's boss or top line daiwas? Are these reels made in japan or malaysia?

thx

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Alutecnos gorilla is one of the top performer in single speed LD reel my opinion.

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Accurate- Made in USA, that's the best for me

4. tmd

tmd Large Member

Alutecnos gorilla is one of the top performer in single speed LD reel my opinion.

thanks minnow. i almost forgot that one. loved your review of it. how does it compare to torsa, gears and drag?

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Torsa because of its' high speed gives up some torque for cranking up big fish.

6. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Here's another vote for the Alu Gorilla 12. That's my favorite lever drag reel for jigging w/ a long rod. The only problem I have is that's it's too wide to use for speed jigging (but then again so's the Torsa).

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The boss single speed "Boss" reels are sweet. It's a top notch reel. I also love my torsa's. I have yet to find a lever drag reel that is as smooth as the torsa. Some people think the high speed of the torsa is to high. I don't think so. You can rip a jig very fast with them. Besides, isn't the rod a major factor in bringing in a fish.

Proper use of the rod will make you forget about that high gear ratio. I can't comment on the Alutecnos gorilla because I've never used one. If minnow thinks it's great, then I'm sure it must be a very good reel. If we any decent tackle stores in my town, I'm sure I would have put it in my hands and probably purchased it.

8. califisherman

califisherman Junior member

Torsa's Got a couple love them!

9. tmd

tmd Large Member

Torsa's Got a couple love them!

can you please have a look and tell me if it was made in japan or malaysia?

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

can you please have a look and tell me if it was made in japan or malaysia?

I have three Torsa's. I just checked the two boxes that are sitting in the bull
    pen waiting for the first one to fail. They are made in Japan.

Shimano doesn't bring a reel to the market quickly. Look how long it took them to improve on the Stella FA. It was a long time. The new SW took years to develop. It didn't hit the market until they knew it was ready for the abuse that anglers would give them. They have a team on engineers that are put on a project. They field test, make changes, make more field test, and make more improvements. Once they bring a reel to market it has been test for a long time.

I first saw the Torsa about a nine months before it hit the market. I was on a charter boat in Cabo. The Capt was one of their field testers. After boarding the boat, my eye was caught by the Torsa. Being a tackle buff, I was dumb founded to see a reel that slipped by me. If I remember correctly, the reels didn't have the name Torsa on it. I caught about a dozen stripped marlin that weekend using the new no name reel.

I would cast out live mackerels after the marlin were attracted to the teasers. Those Torsa's on that boat had caught over 100 stripped marlin before I got to use them. I was impressed as they were still very smooth and the drags were flawless.

It was all the casting and cam change along with the huge gears. Most people forget about its primary goals. Casting and the ability to change drag cams to adjust to different fishing methods and species. I just use it for a jigging reel. Somewhere in my tackle stuff I have all of the cams. I just need to locate them and use the reel as it was intended by the engineers.

One thing to remember about Shimano or any other tackle manufacturer. You aren't just buying a reel, you are buying into thier system. Make sure the manufacturer has parts, and service. Otherwise you better be a good machinist or your purchase is worthless if the company doesn't stand behind it's products. Shimano probably has the best parts inventory and service in the business. That is why they demand that their retailers sell at suggested retail price. They want the dealer to make money and keep things fair among retailers.

The biggest problem for a company the size of Shimano is they have to make reels that cover the whole spectrum of anglers. That includes inexpensive reels. Some people won't pay over fifty bucks for a reel. You then need mid priced reels for another market of fisherman. Then you need the high end stuff for anglers who demand the best.

What I am trying to say is the low end and mid range reels get a lot of abuse from anglers who think they have bought a bulldozer. Don't complain if you use an inexpensive reel for tuna and it shatters.

11. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thanks Mr. Bill for the write up on your experience on the Torsa reel. I have not notice them since I've have Boss reels. I would like to know more.(tackle whore:) ) Which size Torsa did you use fishing for Marlin? How was the drag compare to the Boss reel?

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I own three torsa's. All are the 30 size. Two are still brand new with no line sitting in the box. The 30 size and 20 size were on the boat in Cabo. The drag on the Torsa is smooth as silk on the one I use that is about three years old now. I have not had it serviced yet. I would say the line flows out just a smooth as the boss drags if not smoother. I've never experienced any chatter on a drag of a torsa to date. Mine or other angler's torsa's that I have used.

At first I didn't like the knob that is standard with the Torsa because it is too small. Then I started wrapping my index finger and the finger next to it around the knob for jigging. You would not believe how fast you can rip up a jig using your fingers this way. You end up just using your wrist instead of your whole arm. I now even use this method on spinning gear when speed jigging. Using the two finger method, you arm is bent at the elbow with the elbow sticking way out to the right. Grabbing the whole knob, your elbow ends up next to your body. It's like jigging at warp speed. Give it a try. You'll never go back to putting your paws around the whole knob.

Below is a couple of pictures I just took to show what I mean. One shows the two finger method, and the other shows how my hand just smothers the standard knob. I even crank in the fish with my two fingers most of time.

Attached Files:

13. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I have to give it a try. What pound braid do you have on your Torsa 30 and how many yards? Did you ever notice the reel frame comes to stress and want to seprate? I fish the Dry Tortugas a lot and have seen the Torium come apart as the spool pressure pushes the side plates apart. This is one of the reason I went with a one piece frame that Accurate produce. I know Torium is no in the same quailty class as the Torsa and Boss.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have 80# OTI depthfinder line on my Torsa. I can't remember how much it held. I would guess around 350 yards. I have never noticed any separation on the reel. It is a different animal than the torium. The center frame is machined from aluminum billet. It has more mass than the boss.

The torium is cast aluminum. Way cheaper to make. I don't own and have never owned a torium. However, for the money the torium is a great reel. I believe a lot of people that buy a torium think they have bought a tank.

Once again, you get what you pay for. I've seen the torium bring in a lot of YF tuna. However, the reel will be under a lot of stress and the lifespan will be shortened as the reel isn't designed for tuna after tuna. For the price the torium sells for, you could buy one for every trip and give the used one to a deckhand for a tip each trip.

15. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Mr Bill, what gram JM is that?

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr Bill, what gram JM is that?

You have good eyes. It's a 500gr JM powerspell.

17. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Mr Bill, If I read you correctly, why did you buy 3 Torsas? Just curious.

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr Bill, If I read you correctly, why did you buy 3 Torsas? Just curious.

I first bought one. I used it a few times and really liked it. I watch ebay all the time. When a good buy is out there, I buy it. I've now got a couple of backups if I ever need them.:)

19. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Mr Bill

What is the cheapest you have seen them?

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Look to pay around $445-480.

21. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You have good eyes. It's a 500gr JM powerspell.

If his Eyes were good enough he would have known it was a 500g(the only one in that color combination):D :D

d-a

22. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

What drag cam do you use for jigging?

23. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just checked the reel. I thought it had the standard LRS cam but I must have changed it a while back to the BFS50. Here's a description of the BFS50.

50# Bottom Fishing Special
    This curve will primarily be used in the Gulf of Mexico when bottom fishing next to heavy structure like Oil Platforms. Typically, when a fish bites, the boat runs away from the structure to set the hook and to move the fish away from the structure to reduce cut offs. The angler places a tremendous amount of drag on the fish to move it away from the structure quickly at the risk of breaking the line. As soon as the angler moves the fish or turns it’s head, he will then quickly back off the drag to the Strike position at 1/3-1/2 the breaking strength of the line. The flat area just before until just after the Strike position allows the angler to quickly get back to the Strike setting without having to worry if they have gone too far or not far enough. This cam is ideal for 50-80 pound test.