Shimano Torsa Narrow 16 considered?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Enoch, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Among some of the best jigging reels out there for guys that have larger sized hands is the Shimano Torsa Narrow model 16 size considered as one of the better/top-notch conventional jigging reels out there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which size is suggested for jigging? 16, 20?

Of course in the "N" model.

I've not heard much about these reels versus the more popular:

Accurate
    Ocea Jigger
    Gorilla 12
    John Baker

It's a beast of a reel.

any thoughts?

:)

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Its a beast of a reel, I would own one if I could be more liberal with my fishing budget, so for now I jig with a single speed JX and it works great for me

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Shanker, Thanks for the answer...quite nice a reel. I'm trying to get some good feedback.

Anyone worked a long jig with this reel? I want to go with the St. Croix blank Kil is suggesting. the swxxxhf

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I'm really wondering how this compares with the Ocea Jigger per usage and Extreme Accurate per usage.

Also what size it "equals" to in comparison with the larger conventional jigging reels.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The OJ is easier to use all day. The lever drags are a little more cumbersome fishing all day, they have there place and I have several of each.

The OJ 4000/5000 are 4/0 size reels where as the accurate 665 is a 3/0 size reel.

d-a

6. Rossdemarzo

Rossdemarzo Junior member

The torsa is a bad ass reel. I have caught 55lb black groupers on it to 200lb bull sharks the reel has a amazing amount of torqe. They are priced pretty high but worth the money.

7. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

The Torsa series are my favorite lever-drag reels, FAR nicer than any single speed Accurate or Avet (I've not spent much time with the Alutecnos reels so I can't comment on them). I've owned every Torsa model except for the 40. The 16N is nice if capacity isn't a concern but the 16 is a bit more versatile due to holding more string if jigging is the primary use. The 30 is a bit wide for my tastes but is good as a general purpose offshore reel (troll, livebait, etc).

My favorite of the batch is the 20 which I have paired with a Calstar 760L.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've stated numerous times that the Torsa is my favorite conventional jigging reel. I still stand behind those statements. It's the smoothest most reliable lever drag reel on the market. If they ever came out with a two speed model, it would fly off the shelfs.

9. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Just FYI ReelsSeller on ebay has them priced in the $400's. I think that's the cheapest I've seen them.

Gary

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I've stated numerous times that the Torsa is my favorite conventional jigging reel. I still stand behind those statements. It's the smoothest most reliable lever drag reel on the market. If they ever came out with a two speed model, it would fly off the shelfs.

mr. bill,

which models do you own?

do you like the 20 more than 16N ?

i have big hands too, so your advice goes into play.

:D

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

The Torsa series are my favorite lever-drag reels, FAR nicer than any single speed Accurate or Avet (I've not spent much time with the Alutecnos reels so I can't comment on them). I've owned every Torsa model except for the 40. The 16N is nice if capacity isn't a concern but the 16 is a bit more versatile due to holding more string if jigging is the primary use. The 30 is a bit wide for my tastes but is good as a general purpose offshore reel (troll, livebait, etc).

My favorite of the batch is the 20 which I have paired with a Calstar 760L.

what is the deal with the different cams? (kinda like suping up a camera?) :)

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

mr. bill,

which models do you own?

do you like the 20 more than 16N ? :D

Let me just say I own more than one Torsa.:)
    If I had to choose between the 20 or the 16N, I'd take the 20.

13. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

what is the deal with the different cams? (kinda like suping up a camera?) :)

To grossly simplify, those cams basically have different ramps in them for the drag which means that some go from freespool to full really fast and some do it very gradually.

I've never seen the need to go with anything other than what they come with (the LRS cam) but I don't do a lot of bottom fishing or fish king mackerel tournaments.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks for the comments.

So is there a real reason to compare the Torsa 20 with say the Shimano Ocea Jigger 5000P?

To me, the torsa wins hands down... I don't own either.

There just seems to be mucho more technology in the torsa. Although one is a star and other a lever drag does one win over the other?

Is this obvious to everyone except me?

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks for the comments.

So is there a real reason to compare the Torsa 20 with say the Shimano Ocea Jigger 5000P?

To me, the torsa wins hands down... I don't own either.

There just seems to be mucho more technology in the torsa. Although one is a star and other a lever drag does one win over the other?

Is this obvious to everyone except me?

For me, jigging all day I want a star drag reel.

d-a

16. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

torsa 20 are great reels use mine on yellowfin tuna jigging and dont have a complaint .at moment they are ZAR 3600.00 divide by 8.30. to get dollar price .