Shimano TLD 50?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by BC4Lyphe, Nov 10, 2009.

1. BC4Lyphe

BC4Lyphe Junior member

Just wondering what the Shimano TLD 50II LRSA name means exactly? Correct me if I'm wrong. 50 is the class size, the II means 2 speed, and what does the LRSA signify? Thanks for the input

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Long Range Special.Anti rust bearings.

3. red34

red34 Guest

I believe it also has something to do with the drags. The LRS (Long Range Special) has a higher drag curve designed for the So Cal guys catching big tuna from a dead boat. Here's a post about the Tiagra 50wlrs, which I would imagine shares similar upgraded drag.

Tiagra 50WA vs 50W LRSA - The Hull Truth

That's what I read about them in the past anyway.

4. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

What Paul said. Long Range Special. The newer "A" series TLD IIs have upgraded Anti-Rust Bearings and have been out for a couple of years now.

The LRS reels have a more aggressive drag curve from free spool to strike. If you're going to spool with 50lbs mono and troll with it, get the straight "A" version as you'll have more room to position a bait in your trolling spread.

If you want to fish the 50 as an 80, or want to live bait like they do on the west coast, go with the LRS version.

Tom

5. titan05

titan05 Junior member

The TLD 50 II LRS is not a big favorite on the West Coast for BIG yellowfin as they are prone to coming apart. The reel seat / frame connection point has and will let go. Very sad sight to see the reel take your guides off and go in the water and all you have on your rod is the reel seat with a little graphite.

Nice trolling reel for smaller garde of fish but 200 pound and over.....there are other reels that will stay in one piece

6. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

The TLD 50 II LRS is not a big favorite on the West Coast for BIG yellowfin as they are prone to coming apart. The reel seat / frame connection point has and will let go. Very sad sight to see the reel take your guides off and go in the water and all you have on your rod is the reel seat with a little graphite.

Nice trolling reel for smaller garde of fish but 200 pound and over.....there are other reels that will stay in one piece

Much of that issue has to do with two different fishing styles between the east and west coasts. On the west coast, they're fishing from "head boats" where the boat is fixed while fishing and they can't chase an individual fish. So the anglers use a heavy drag setting, load the reel up with heavy braid and go to war. A graphite framed reel cannot take that punishment on a regular basis.

Here on the east coast, trolling for marlin or tuna out of a private boat, it's a more feasible option to rig the reel for 80lbs.

Tom