Shimano Tiagra 30W opinions

Discussion in 'Reels' started by hstsw, Aug 7, 2007.

1. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Shimano Tiagra 30W
    I haven't use or own a Shimano Tiagra reel before so I have no comments on the quality.
    My friend plan to buy a Shimano Tiagra 30W for offshore fishing - King Mackerels/Sharks/ maybe Tuna/Grouper
    I think the Shimano Tiagra is overkill for him
    Your comments & replies are highly appreciated

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

it is overkill for kings, but for serious fishing it's hard to beat.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

The Tiagra 30W LRS is a great reel....you can drift a line out, troll, or bottom fish with it. It's a good all around reel.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

Lets see, one of the better drag systems offered as shimano is a gear company by trait with 25#'s at strike and over 35# at full, great handle, good capacity especially if you use 80 or 130lb spectra spliced into a mono topshot or 500 yards of straight 50# mono. Its light and extremely durable

I agree that it is way overkill for king macs but if you are doing any serious trolling or bottom fishing its a great lighter reel. There are others in that class that will give you more drag, capacity and such like the avet TREX 30 but then you are paying $$$$$ dollars.

Choices are Penn, Shimano, Avet, Accurate and Alutecnos the Tiagra is a workhorse and is very reasonable and the resell value is very high

5. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Thanks! My friend bought it new for $419 +sales tax
    I look at it this morning & is really nice reel.

6. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Its a sweet REEL......

Got mine spooled with 130 Hollow spliced with 60lb miomi

YFT and Grouper with the occasional monster shark have been landed