Shimano Tiagra 16 Drag

Discussion in 'Reels' started by John_Madison CT, May 18, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I bought a Shimano Tiagra 16 a few months ago from Cabelas. Basil at BHP tackle spooled it up with 550yards of 80lb JB Hollow Core. (I added a 25' topshot) You guys probably remember this from my "guess the line capacity contest".

Anyway, out of the box I wasn't thrilled with the smoothness of the retrieve, or the drag #'s. I was not able to get factory specs (23lbs at Strike / 29.5lb at Full with Freespool). On another website (I'd be glad to PM you the website if you like), Shimano has a forum of their own. I posted up my drag #'s, and was promptly PM'd by a Service manager at Shimano. He said he would take care of my problem and asked that I send it to his attention.

The reel was packaged and shipped to Shimano on 5/7. I received it back today with note saying they added a shaft spacer and it was at factory specs..

Well, to my surprise, it's like a different reel. I'm easily able to get over 25lbs at Strike and over 34lbs at Full, while still maintaining total freespool and a silky smooth feeling to the reel. (I stopped turning the knob, but I believe it has a lot more ability)

I was very impressed by Shimano's response and courtesy. Kudos to them for a job well done !!

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Shimano does have great customer service.

3. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

John did they say this is a problem with all Tiagra 16s or was it just a individual reel that got by quality control...I am just about ready to order mine.

4. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I'm fairly sure it was just my reel.

5. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

Thats good news..thanks