Shimano Tallica

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by stresst, Oct 11, 2009.

1. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Ive read all the reviews, some good, some bad but im still undecided. Im looking for a 2 speed toy for inshore so I dont hink binding will be a concern for what im doing.

Anyone have any new input on the new tallica's??

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my question would be if what you're doing is say, blackfish/fluke/bluefish/stripers - why would 2 speed be needed? nice small single speed like a saltist/saltiga would seem to fit the bill perfectly. even old squidders and jigmasters work well :)

3. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I agree with Bret. Don't know why you'd need such an expensive reel for inshore fishing. I use the Shimano Tekota for inshore. Great reel at a very good price.

4. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Lets stay on topic! LOL Is it good or bad??

5. bay bruiser

bay bruiser Senior Member

I am fortunate to own 16II speed, I have used it for jigging for yellow tail and landed fish upto 22kg, the reel is smooth, light and robust, the two speed feature makes short work of kingfish. I have pilled it apart and it is very well made, I own an ocea jigger, a pro gear Oceanus, some TLD,s ( 15, 25) and the reel compares favourably to all of these, I have managed to squeeze 550 meters of Whiplash power pro onto the reel and am thinking that the capacity and drag range will make catching a strippy a possibility this season on it.
    Our stripped marlin get pretty big down here!

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I cannot find them local and would love to see the actual size differance between the 8 an 10

7. bay bruiser

My understanding of them is that the two you mention are the same size height wise, they differ in width however. The same applies to the 12 and 16, they are the same height, but different in width.
    P.s @ my current drag setting I have not noticed any bearing binding, the reel is designed to fish upto 40lb of drag, I suspect that if you went over this it would no doubt, like other more American palattable reels, develope bearing binding issues

8. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

So, Bay Bruiser............What drag are you currently operating at.

cranking resistance increasing with drag pressure is a key issue with lever drag reels.

very interested in what drag pressure you are experiencing without cranking resistance issues, purchase decision pending immediately for myself.
    Talica II 12 is one of the two in the short list.

9. bay bruiser

Dennis I am currently squeezing out 34lbs over the tip of a Zenaq 53-20 jigging rod, I have measured this drag setting on a set of scales. Strike is set at 22 lbs. I am aware that some would consider these drag settings excessive, however i am fishing over rugged foul, in 30-60 meters, trying to stop fish up to twenty odd kilos smoking me of on the bottom. There is no discernable cranking resistance at these sttings.

10. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Thanks
    Similar drag & situation to my intended use .

Much appreciated definitive information.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

bay bruiser - how is the binding at this setting? i havent measured any drag, i just picked up the reel at icast, screwed around with the drags and noticed some binding. no clue what the drag was at. if it can sustain 25lbs with minimal binding we have a winner.

btw - good to see you posting here denis :)

12. bay bruiser

There is no discernable binding at this setting Brett, I have an Avet that suffers from this problem ( only if drag set outside the reels designed drag range).
    I imagine that binding would be an issue for the Talica if you were to ramp up the drag above its designed range also.( above 40lb)
    The JM reels have interetingly reduced the binding issue by using a sleeve inside the spool, from bearing to bearing that greatly reduces the side load on the bearings, I suspect this wil beocme common practice for small reels with huge drag capabillities

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

good to know, thanks :)

14. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Finding lots of familiar people over here since the APS site went down & I had to find another jigging/popping community.

Bit the Bullet on a Talica II-12 this morning and it will be stopping off in CA near Alan Tani for a week or so before it continues its journey to Oz..........so if Alan has the time he might pop the box and give us all an experienced eye over the machinery in OEM condition.

Talica will not be introduced to Oz until mid 2010 apparently, but I have been tossing up the acquisition of a conventional 2-speed for
    knock-down-drag-out jigging in deepwater for a while & the exchange rate is just so good at the moment I decided to make the move.

15. bay bruiser

Yay for the U.S fed printing more money , driving the green back down and giving us south pacific paso holders some equity.
    Denis what are your thoughts now you,ve had a play with it?

16. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

It won't be until early next month that I get my hands on it in Oz ..............but if Alan Tani has the time in a week or so while it is taking a rest near him before it continues its journey to Oz ........he might be able to pop the box & give us all his thoughts on the OEM mechanics compared to some of its obvious competitors.

Generally would not let anyone else near my equipment ( especially NIB ) but in the name of science we will make an exception for Alan if he has the time.

17. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I would also love to hear Alan Tani's opinion on this reel.

I'm on the fence between the Talica 16 and the Accurate Bx2-600.

18. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

John
    that was the same fence I was on for a few months , with the cranking resistance comparison between the two reels my main point of concern as a use issue, and proximity to spare parts another consideration , should I need them.
    Whether spares for either is ever needed is another matter altogether.
    The accurate agent in Oz is 1000miles from me & Shimano Oz head office is an hours drive away.
    In my case the choice was one size down from yours at Talica II-12 vs Accurate BX2-600N.

Time & use will tell whether I made the right decision for my particular deepjigging application.