shimano stella

Discussion in 'Reels' started by dyoung, Mar 25, 2008.

1. dyoung

dyoung Junior member

i found a good deal on a stella sw 8000pg.i'm wondering if it would be able to handle grouper up to 35lbs. thanks in advance.

2. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

No problem at all! Just make sure you match it with a rod capable of allowing you to fish that reel to its full potential.

I use my SW8000 on two OTI rods, a 7 1/2' popping rod 50#, and a 5 1/2' 600g spinner.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Tom,

I'm surprised to hear you are not using a 20K or 10K on the 600 gram rod and the 8K on the 300 gram version.

Russ

4. dyoung

dyoung Junior member

thanks for the quike reply. i found a site where they are selling the 2008 sw 8000pg for $810 and free shipping. i think retail is around $1050.

5. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Tom,
    I'm surprised to hear you are not using a 20K or 10K on the 600 gram rod and the 8K on the 300 gram version.
    Russ

Hey UR!

I did have the 20K but I sold it to Grescobia. It's a great reel, but it was too big for me. I haven't hooked into anything yet that has challenged the smaller line capacity of the 8k vs the 20K.

I have two spools for the 8, one with 50# braid and the other with 60.

I'm looking at the Saragosa 14k or the Accurate 20 though because I know I need a bigger reel.

But the casting test on the Accurate 665 is going very well. If I can get to where I can consistently cast a 3-5 oz popper 75 yards with minimal over runs, I may switch back to conventional.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Hey UR!

I did have the 20K but I sold it to Grescobia. It's a great reel, but it was too big for me. I haven't hooked into anything yet that has challenged the smaller line capacity of the 8k vs the 20K.

I have two spools for the 8, one with 50# braid and the other with 60.

I'm looking at the Saragosa 14k or the Accurate 20 though because I know I need a bigger reel.

But the casting test on the Accurate 665 is going very well. If I can get to where I can consistently cast a 3-5 oz popper 75 yards with minimal over runs, I may switch back to conventional.
    try practicing by waking up at 2AM after 3 hours sleep and casting for an hour or so under so-so lighting. i havent tried this, but it would probably simulate casting while being on tired party boat at night. i imagine this would be more challenging

7. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

the dudes in cali cast anchivies with conventional all the time, no reason to think it shouldnt be done.

Like tom said get a rod with lifting power if you want to stop a 40# grouper. The only reason not to go with a 8000 is line capacity i would think. Fishin the bottom you have way more line out. But i am not a tackle ho and will only own a stella if i inherited it.

Good luck on your purchase. Let us know how it performs with the groupers. And which rod you put it on.