Shimano stella question

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by tmd, Nov 26, 2008.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

the picture of stella 8000 fa was posted by another user in a post. but i was curious about the gears in display in it. what are the gears 4 and 5 made of? are they or one of them plastic?

[​IMG]

thank you

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

4 and 5 are metal and embedded in grease. The cover (1 = #8242) is on the right side of the reel. The bearings are very small and the spacer Alan spoke of is tiny.

3. tmd

tmd Large Member

4 and 5 are metal and embedded in grease. The cover (1 = #8242) is on the right side of the reel. The bearings are very small and the spacer Alan spoke of is tiny.

Thank you Belly. in truth I'm so mechanically challenged I dont get half what they said about spacers and gears. Those two gears looked like plastic in this picture ,especialy #5, and I wanted someone to tell me. Now I know they are both metal. Thank you [​IMG]

4. gman

gman Senior Member

This is why I will never ever look or touch inside a reel I have no clue what i would be doing.

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

the picture of stella 8000 fa was posted by another user in a post. but i was curious about the gears in display in it. what are the gears 4 and 5 made of? are they or one of them plastic?

[​IMG]

thank you
    Some kind of aluminum on the gears #4 and #5.
    On the spacer is kind of teflon.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

This is why I will never ever look or touch inside a reel I have no clue what i would be doing.
    yeah im with you. i might try and service a US-made star drag reel (i.e. not my ocea)...since then if i embarass myself ill just send it in. by might i mean i likely won't.

7. tmd

tmd Large Member

Thank you very much for the replies. another question. i am still studying the photos and learning :)

in this photo, what is the idel gear #4 (8280) made of?

[​IMG]