Shimano Stella FA 10000

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Cubano, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

Do you guys think that byuing one of last year's model of the Stella 10000 is a good idea? I've found a brand new one for $400.00. Even though it's an old model, for only $100 more than a 18000 Saragosa you can get a reel with a maximum drag of 65lb. That sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I would say jump all over that while you can. Those reels have been proven. Private seller?

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

$400 for brand new 10K FA, go for it.
    Once they are out, you have to pay $800+ for new model.

4. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

I would say jump all over that while you can. Those reels have been proven. Private seller?

No its from a store. Can the spools of the 10000 and the 20000 be interchanged?

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

No its from a store. Can the spools of the 10000 and the 20000 be interchanged?
    Yes, you can use 20000FA for extra line.

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

jigging with a 10000 all day can be a chore with the high speed. but for the price it would be silly not to get it. sell it later if it doesn't fit the bill.

7. ladysiam

ladysiam Junior member

if you don't want it tell me

8. feeder

feeder Senior Member

9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Has the 2008 model 10000FA come out as stated in the ebay listing?

10. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Has the 2008 model 10000FA come out as stated in the ebay listing?

no such animal as an "08 FA"

-otherwise, a 10,000FA for $400 is a bargain - if you don't want it, I'd buy it myself in a heartbeat.

11. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

no such animal as an "08 FA"

-otherwise, a 10,000FA for $400 is a bargain - if you don't want it, I'd buy it myself in a heartbeat.

hahah you just can't stay away from these things can you!? :p

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

the price is too low to be true unless it is a stoled good.

13. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Certainly something to consider; or, it could just be a recent buyer in distress or his local pawnshop--or maybe buyer's wife is selling it for what he said he paid for it. You know the story. In any case, you want the serial no. from the seller (check it w/ the mfr to see whether the reel was registered or reported lost) and you want to do the transaction so that you have a credible independent party's guarantee (such as that of eBay or PayPal or a credit card company so you can reverse your payment if the reel proves stolen) to make sure your seller can make good on his implied warranty of good title in favor of the buyer.

14. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

jigging with a 10000 all day can be a chore with the high speed. but for the price it would be silly not to get it. sell it later if it doesn't fit the bill.

I thought that for Butterfly jigging, a high speed reel is prefered.

15. Cubano

Cubano Junior member

It comes from a reputable store. I guess they are trying to get rid of their old Shimano models. The price is $449.99, but since I'm a returning customer I get another 10% off, thus making the price $405.99. Problem is, I would rather have the 20000, since I'm looking more for a spinning reel to use with live bait, and for throwing some irons for big yellowfins, yellowtail, and hopefully wahoo (I'm planning on talking a long range trip out of San Diego next year). On the other hand, for the price it would be good to have this one for butterfly jigging. I will go this week and compare the old ones with the new ones and the 18000 Saragosa. By the way I looked at the 18000 Saragosa and the 18000 new Stella side by side, and even though the Stella is clearly nicer, I don't think that it is worth more than 3 times the cost of the Saragosa ($300 VS $950). I think that reel should cost in the $600 range. From what I have been reading here about the fish being caught on the Saragosa, it sounds like the Stella would only make a difference when it comes to very large fish (well over 100 lb). I can be quite irrational when it comes to fishing equipment, but $950 on a spinning reel sounds extreme even to me. If the new Stella were the same price as the old models, or at most $750, I would for sure buy one, but at this price (and less maximum drag on top of it), I'm not sure.

16. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

If it's legit, you should have already bought it. If you haven't go get it today. The FA Stellas are some of the best reels ever made. If the new ones are improved (and I hope they are, already bought a 10000pg) the best only got better. The high gear ratio will be great for casting iron, you can always get a 16000 or 20000 spool for added capacity. Most vertical jiggers seem to like the cranking power of the PG Stellas but you could still use the 10000. Or get the Saragosa and pm me the whereabouts of the 10000.

Fred