Shimano Stella 8000FA

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by ichibahn, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dude-

Dude- Junior member

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! Where have I beennnnn???? this is pretty juicey.

Ichiban, great post man.... thanks for taking your time and energy to put up such an informative post. Keep it coming.

Alan Hawk, I should serve you a fart burger to comment on my post " he posted his dodgy work as a guide for others ".

First of all, there were no guides posted.
    Second of all, at least I had the BALLS to go out and get a brand new JDM SW and try to see whats inside so I can share with everyone.
    Third of all, my attempt to take it apart was stopped because of the rotor nut. (No need explain that one because you pros would know).

The so call fish was infact 267lbs on a 6000FA body 8000FA spool. Want to see the pictures? go look for it yourself.

While everyone tries to be a gentlemen about it and tries to be mild with their post, you can count on guys like me to speak out.

Your post Blows Alan. Have another burger and thanks for contributing.

Hi everyone... :) just having fun.

2. REEFMAN

REEFMAN Junior member

I would send it to shimano for a servicing and put a note in there about the Anti reverse not working. They will fix it and send it back

d-a

Ermmmm I live in deepest, darkest Africa mate... where elephants and lions roam the streets... The reason I asked the question is so that I can try fix it myself!

So let me try again...Can anyone explain how the Anti-reverse mechanism works on the Stella 10000FA?

3. gman

gman Senior Member

I dont care who Alan Hawk is ... Master reel guy or not the comments made on the "other site" about Ichiban were rude and obnoxious and demonstrated a general lack of professionalism. There is something to be said for taking leadership role instead of speaking about somone on another forum.

And BTW ... They did catch a 267 bluefin with a 6000 and a 8000 spool.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I dont care who Alan Hawk is ... Master reel guy or not the comments made on the "other site" about Ichiban were rude and obnoxious and demonstrated a general lack of professionalism. There is something to be said for taking leadership role instead of speaking about somone on another forum.

And BTW ... They did catch a 267 bluefin with a 6000 and a 8000 spool.
    Well put!

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

On my Stella 10K FA, which is similar to the 8000, the Anti-reverse doesn't stop. The spool travels in both directions... what can I do to rectify this... there are no "anti-reverse" descriptions on the schematics... opened it up like above, but cannot find any obvious problem... can someone point me in the right direction? Appreciate it muchly...

dr. wright, the key is the roller clutch assembly, key #8028 and part #RD 8028.......

http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/schematic.php?url=Shimano/Shimano%20stella%20%201000fa.pdf

it's been a while since i've opened up one of these, but i believe that the the "rollers" are actually rare earth magnets. in the free position, they are locked away from rotor ring and will allow the rotor to move both directions. in the "in gear" position, the magnets are not locked and will shift backwards to come in contact with the rotor ring and then lock the rotor ring quickly so that the rotor is not allowed to rotate backwards. if sand or corrosion get into the roller clutch assembly, the magnets will not move backwards and lock properly.

to remove the rotor, you need to remove the spool, then the bearing guide pin. in the reel that i now have on the bench, i believe that the bearing guide pin is actually a tiny metric allen screw. i have not started servicing it yet, but will give you a follow up when i do. now, once the pin is out, you should be able to remove the rotor as a unit, giving you easy access to the roller clutch assembly. at this point, i would consider simply cleaning it with spray carburator cleaner and compressed air to remove any particulate matter. check to see if it the clutch assembly now functions. if so, hit it with a light lubricant like corrosion x, remove all the excess with compressed air, and check the function again. if it works, let's put it back together and call it a day. if not, you may have to remove, carefully disassemble, clean, lube and reassemble each small piece of the rotor clutch assembly.

bear in mind that this effort may be for naught. the rotor clutch assembly may have already been damaged beyond repair. damage to the mating surfaces of the clutch assembly can do that. if this is the case, you may require a new clutch assembly AND rotor ring to restore full function. please keep us posted as to your progress. alan tani

6. alantani

alantani Senior Member

you know, ichiban-sama, i was just looking at all of your photos trying to get reoriented and write the response to dr. wright. i had a good chuckle and a funny thought. you know i'm a pharmacist, right? i know those voices are telling you, "pictures, we need more pictures....". well, we have medication that can help you.:D

7. dan1

dan1 Senior Member

Now I know why spinners are so much more expensive than conventionals. I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on buying a spinner. Someone need to come up with a more simple design.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Now I know why spinners are so much more expensive than conventionals. I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on buying a spinner. Someone need to come up with a more simple design.

Why? The more simpler ones are the ones that break.

d-a

9. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Why? The more simpler ones are the ones that break.

d-a

so are diesel engines, with their 25% fewer parts, breaking down more often than gas engines???

fewer parts = fewer things that can go wrong imho

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

so are diesel engines, with their 25% fewer parts, breaking down more often than gas engines???

fewer parts = fewer things that can go wrong imho

The diesel I have has more parts than my gas motor. But that's besides the point.

And yes I'm all for the K.I.S.S principle. However all of the parts in a Stella serve a function and are enginered to withstand severe usage. You simply can not compare a Stella to a Penn, fin nor, okuma and any other simplistic designed spinning reel.

d-a

11. monocom

monocom Senior Member

Thanks Ichiban,

I was washing my reels in my bathroom last sunday night. Accidently I dropped Stella 10000XG on the floor. I had area rug & it was only 2 foot drop. I tought it was ok but reel was stocked. I can not turn the handle any more.

Today, I had some free time, So I was looking at post and started to open the reel. Finally took me over 1 hour, I can completly open the reel. I found worm sharft messed up. All other parts looks good. here is the pictures.

Just hope I can remember to assemble in 1 piece again.:)

Thanks Ichiban for the great tutorial.:)

http://s773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/monocominc/?action=view&current=IMG00052-20091201-1528.jpg
    http://s773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/monocominc/?action=view&current=IMG00053-20091201-1528.jpg

12. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Hi monocom,
    The reel spool must be hit the floor first when it dropped, drop impact is pushing the spool shaft, and oscillating pawl damaged the worm-shaft gear.
    Check also the "oscillating pawl" to make sure doesn't get damage before put it back together.

13. monocom

monocom Senior Member

Hi monocom,
    The reel spool must be hit the floor first when it dropped, drop impact is pushing the spool shaft, and oscillating pawl damaged the worm-shaft gear.
    Check also the "oscillating pawl" to make sure doesn't get damage before put it back together.

thanks. I will check "oscillating pawl".:)

14. tmd

tmd Large Member

Ichiban. i opened my stella sw too and i am confused about some thing. can you help me by looking in this photo?

can you see the ball bearing at the rear of the worm gear? look at the black rubber piece with the holes on the right. this rubber piece is placed on the rear of the worm gear before two metals parts are screwed in, as you know.

what confuses me is the following. the big hole in the rubber piece is the same diameter as the ball bearing that you can see on the left. the hole being the same size as the bearing, it allows the bearing to go trough the hole in the rubber. but the bearing is inserted flush with the reel body. totally flush and no part of it is protruding enough to go through the hole in the rubber.

Is this normal, or the bearing is supposed to be protruding a little to go through the hole in the rubber? I think this is the same as stella fa. in stella fa, Is the bearing flush with the reel's body, or part of it protrudes?

thanx

15. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Yes, it is normal.
    The large hole on the rubber seal is the same diameter with ball bearing.
    And the ball bearing should be flush with the reel body.

Note:
    Before you install the rear cover, brush the reel body with "heavy coat of grease".

This area most of the time got corroded first and you're not going to see it until you open the cover :eek:
    [​IMG]

16. tmd

tmd Large Member

ichiban. thank you very much!!! i will put grease on that area.

one more question about FA this time.

[​IMG]

The FA has an extra part that fits over the bearing before you put the black rubber seal, which is #8 in the picture (worm gear ring). When you insert it, does it become flush with the reel's body or protrudes and goes through the hole in the black seal? or you don't remember?

thank you double and happy new year

17. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Yes, #8 worm gear ring on FA series it should flush also to the reel body.
    On the new SW series they don't have that ring anymore.

18. tmd

tmd Large Member

Thank you very much:)

David Makinson likes this.
  19. Astronut

Astronut Senior Member

WOW!. Ichibahn, I work at NASA in the Spacesuit biz, would u like an application?..LOL..Awesome job buddy!!! Or should we just call u "McGiver"...:cool:

20. Chris_Nias

Chris_Nias Junior member

Ichiban,

Why u install grease for gear so thinly? Would not that make gear damaged?

chris,