Shimano Stella 8000FA

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by ichibahn, Jul 21, 2008.

1. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

all my rc cars and tucks were electric. i have wanted to get into them again. my kids would love them.

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I used to play rc cars but have stop playing since I crashed my Nitro rc truck 3 years ago. I still have all the parts enough to put together for 2-3 trucks or cars.

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

That's the fun thing about R/C. Crashed it.......and the driver still safe.:D :D
    My Nitro Revo jump about 10-12 feet and crushed all the axle and arm but fun to watch the action.:p

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

TJ, I will post for the 20000FA as soon I'm done editing the pictures

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

TJ, I will post for the 20000FA as soon I'm done editing the pictures

you have so many reels, even if you mess one up you still have backups! :)

6. moiman

moiman Junior member

WOW!! Excellent tutorial, love the pics. How do you like the penn grease? Is it still Shimano smoooooth:) .

7. Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk Junior member

I'm afraid that you have made a grave mistake assembling the reel.

In this photo

[​IMG]

You wrongfully placed #3 (worm shaft spacer 2409) where it does not belong on the fore shaft of the worm gear.

Then

[​IMG]

You naturally could not find the spacer of the bearing/idle gear in the oscillation speed reduction gearbox (where you put the yellow question mark), because you have already put it in the wrong place.

Here is a scan of the parts diagram of the Export version Stella 8000 FA, which you were working on.

[​IMG]http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/Shimano/Shimano%20stl_8000fa.pdf

Marked clearly is the front portion of the worm gear where there should be no spacer, and pointed to with the red arrows are the correct locations of the 2409 spacer.

As insignificant as it might look, this missing spacer will result in rapid wear to the idle gear and create a slight increase in load on the teeth of the pinion worm, as it is now free to move down and the mating surfaces are not meshing completely. The extra spacer on the worm gear is less damaging, but it creates undue axial load on the ball bearing at the rear end of the gear. I believe that the oscillation pawl itself have enough room in the worm grooving to accommodate the slight change of the gear's position due to the spacer.

I'd call the owner and get this fixed as soon as possible. Nothing will seem wrong on the outside, but with time and use the premature wear will require expensive repair.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wow, Alan, thanks for pointing that out! You have a heck of an eye.

9. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I'm afraid that you have made a grave mistake assembling the reel.

In this photo

[​IMG]

You wrongfully placed #3 (worm shaft spacer 2409) where it does not belong on the fore shaft of the worm gear.

Then

[​IMG]

You naturally could not find the spacer of the bearing/idle gear in the oscillation speed reduction gearbox (where you put the yellow question mark), because you have already put it in the wrong place.

Here is a scan of the parts diagram of the Export version Stella 8000 FA, which you were working on.

[​IMG]http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/Shimano/Shimano%20stl_8000fa.pdf

Marked clearly is the front portion of the worm gear where there should be no spacer, and pointed to with the red arrows are the correct locations of the 2409 spacer.

As insignificant as it might look, this missing spacer will result in rapid wear to the idle gear and create a slight increase in load on the teeth of the pinion worm, as it is now free to move down and the mating surfaces are not meshing completely. The extra spacer on the worm gear is less damaging, but it creates undue axial load on the ball bearing at the rear end of the gear. I believe that the oscillation pawl itself have enough room in the worm grooving to accommodate the slight change of the gear's position due to the spacer.

I'd call the owner and get this fixed as soon as possible. Nothing will seem wrong on the outside, but with time and use the premature wear will require expensive repair.

Hey Alan Hawk,
    Thanks for correcting my mistake, I will editing after I came back from vacation.

This is my first time to breakdown Stella reel.
    The reason my post is, because I didn't find any picture of breakdown Stella reel on any website.
    So I give it to try and posting it, so people have an idea how is look like inside the Stella reel.
    I don't have commercial purposed on this, I just doing it on my own reel.
    Even I servicing my friends reel, I don't take any money from it.

As I say on the first post(page #1):
    "I'm not that good as Master Reel Alantani, but I try my best."

And I add message for Alantani:
    "To Master Alantani: Please, correct me if I make some mistake."

The reel it was used when I bought it, and the seller told me the reel it's been serviced twice by Shimano service center.
    On the last serviced, Shimano service center replaced 2 bearing on it.
    That's what the seller told me.

So when I break down that reel, the position of the washer it's been like that.
    That's why I put "question mark" on it, because is different with the reel schematic.

Oh yeah, Did I mention on that post the reel is not mine ?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan Hawk:

I do want to learn from the "Pro" and I do respect on person who teach me something good.
    But I don't respect on person with bad comment all the times.

I have been reading all your post over the SOL forum, previously you're bad commenting a lot people out there.
    Is that they call "Professional" if he/she always put negative comment on someone want to learn something ?

shimano stella fa vs. sw - SurfTalk
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stresst:
    Browse the other site either deepjig or 360 my buddy did a side by side comparison. He kept it subjective but he did sell all his Fa's. He is a offshore junky. His buddy caught a 240+lb BFT on a 6000SW with a 8K spool! In less than 5 minutes, Its on you tube see for yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan Hawk:
    Kindly do not direct our members to other sites where they would be misinformed. I checked the post you are referring to over there, and the myths and misinformation there are quite unbelievable. Someone there even disassembled a Stella then put it back WRONG, and he posted his dodgy work as a guide for others I made two illustrated posts there correcting what I could.

And funny enough, even your response to the original poster is misinforming. Not sure what the buddy of our buddy was using, but he could not have been using the reel you describe. Spools of the 8000SW reels DO NOT fit 6000SW reels. I assume you are speaking of the JDM 6000 becaue there is no US/Export 6000SW.

To the OP: search for a recent post I made here on the differences, and post any more questions you might have right here.

Cheers.

I don't want to start argument in here, I just want everything straighten up.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

someone post the pic of andy with his tuna. the thing was awesome :)

11. Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk Junior member

Hey Alan Hawk,

[rubbish]

I don't want to start argument in here, I just want everything straighten up.

Hello there,

I am not sure what is your problem. But I can see nothing in my correction that should make you fly off the handle like this. You went to the other board, tried to start with me, I ignored you, so you copy something I said there and reply to it here?! I'm sorry if calling it "dodgy" somehow led to your world crashing down so bad you had to stalk me all evening. Your work IS dodgy, and I held back on pointing out some other problems in it because I wanted to help, not to start a childish war as you are trying to do here and on the other board.

Telling me that you "don't respect" me invites a similarly rude response that would make you feel really bad. But I'll refrain from that and just tell you that I don't care for your respect. I came again because someone told me about your panic attack, but I do not belong here, and I wouldn't have come in first place hadn't a member come to the other board and told people they'd rather check here if they wanted 'subjective' information. You would not react well if I do the same here.

I'll be taking off now, and hopefully you will leave it there so everyone can go back to fishing.

Good bye Mr. Ichibahn

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I can say I appreciate all the input on this thread. I find all the information extremely valuable and hope we can all get along. Ichiban is a top notch guy and friend. I have learned a lot from him. I appreciate all the time Ichiban spent posting and I also appreciate Alan Hawk's input. That is why we have forum threads--for input and sharing information to the best of our abilities, in order to learn more. We live and learn. Even the pros make mistakes. I have seen the pros post mistakes they have made and I am sure they made their share while gaining their immense knowledge. Without Ichiban posting this thread, I would not have serviced my stellas as much as I have over the past 2 months. I thank him for posting. I also have known about Alan Hawks knowledge from the days, many years ago, when I visited allcoast.

Whenever servicing my own reels, I check threads like this where individuals have spent so much time and posted pictures. These pictures can be so helpful/invaluable when combined with the schematics. I have opened reels where they were not assembled properly from the manufacturer or service department (this seems to be the reason for the mistake on this thread--and Ichiban even placed a ? mark where the parts did not match up). I have read where Alantini recommends disassembling a reel before you even use it the first time. It is not easy to put everything together perfectly.

13. tmd

tmd Large Member

I fully agree with Billy. icheban's post is very informative and the photos are very good, here and on the other thread, and every one makes mistakes. also Alan hawk is a well known expert and I enjoyed reading and learning from his posts over many years and the post he made about SW is a wealth of information. icheban does not need to say he does not respect alan, and alan does not need to call icheban rude. I say shake hands and let us enjoy what both can provide.

Who agrees?

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I fully agree with Billy. icheban's post is very informative and the photos are very good, here and on the other thread, and every one makes mistakes. also Alan hawk is a well known expert and I enjoyed reading and learning from his posts over many years and the post he made about SW is a wealth of information. icheban does not need to say he does not respect alan, and alan does not need to call icheban rude. I say shake hands and let us enjoy what both can provide.

Who agrees?

Who cares?

Alan has only 3 post here so your statement about learning from him over many years is irrelevant. I have never heard of him and quite frankly have done well with out knowing of him.

If any one would have read the original post You would have known that Ichiban is not as experienced in reel repair as member Alantani. Not to mention that anyone can make a mistake.

We need more contributing members her instead of a guy that comes in just to chastise some ones work who only did it for the good of our members.

Oh yea Respect is earned not given, so if Alan hasn't earned Ichibans respect then so be it. Maybe if he was more of a contributing member here He would have earned it, and others benefited from it.

d-a

15. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Ichiban your going to get a beatn' next sat from the crew for letting this bother you, the only *****n' I want to hear out of you is how bad your arms are hurtn' from the tuna on the end of your line. You know typing long unnecessary responses does nothing to improve your arm strength.
    You are a committed, knowledgeable and talented fishermen and I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say keep it coming we appreciate your input.
    When a person criticizes another person for what ever reason no one gains a thing.

16. alantani

alantani Senior Member

if you want respect on the internet, you have to post pictures. ichiban has my respect..........

17. REEFMAN

REEFMAN Junior member

Respect! BIG TIME! What a great post. Thankyou...

I have a question if someone can please help me...?
    On my Stella 10K FA, which is similar to the 8000, the Anti-reverse doesn't stop. The spool travels in both directions... what can I do to rectify this... there are no "anti-reverse" descriptions on the schematics... opened it up like above, but cannot find any obvious problem... can someone point me in the right direction?
    Appreciate it muchly...

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Respect! BIG TIME! What a great post. Thankyou...

I have a question if someone can please help me...?
    On my Stella 10K FA, which is similar to the 8000, the Anti-reverse doesn't stop. The spool travels in both directions... what can I do to rectify this... there are no "anti-reverse" descriptions on the schematics... opened it up like above, but cannot find any obvious problem... can someone point me in the right direction?
    Appreciate it muchly...

I would send it to shimano for a servicing and put a note in there about the Anti reverse not working. They will fix it and send it back

d-a

19. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

ALan Hawk sounds like a real POS.

20. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Freddy, thanks for the breakdown. It was very informative brotha!!!