Shimano Saragosa

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BretABaker, Feb 5, 2008.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I believe its new for 2008

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The reel looks very temtping and I need a spinner. However, for my main focus of surface tuna, I am leaning to an old or new model stella. I may pick up a Saragosa 8000 for dorado and such.

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

wierd..the 18000 wieghs less than the 14000 with more line capacity.

I will be getting one instead of a stella for now.

they still havent learned that using carbon fiber instead of dartanium is better in a wet enviroment! I will replace the washers before ever mounting it ona rod!

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The reel looks very temtping and I need a spinner. However, for my main focus of surface tuna, I am leaning to an old or new model stella. I may pick up a Saragosa 8000 for dorado and such.
    if i decide to get another big spinning reel i'll try this barring any horrible reports. i'm sure there are differences - but not ones that are several hundred dollars worth

6. ember

ember Guest

It looks to me that the arbor of the spool on the 18000 is considerably thinner than the 14000.Less weight,more capacity.

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

bret it looks like a factory upgraded spheros. extral bearing, handle and upgraded drag. cant be beat in my book.

8. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I don't think they are shipping yet, but definitely a good budget reel with a quality name behind it.

dbg

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I don't think they are shipping yet, but definitely a good budget reel with a quality name behind it.

dbg

held the 18k today

10. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

it's so tempting....

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

held the 18k today

How was it? Weight, quality etc? I am looking to pick up a spinning reel to match with an OTI rod.

RT

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Obviously I didn't cast it or anything, but it felt good. I wish this was out when I bought my Penn 950. For those not wanting to spend a ton, but still have a very strong spinning reel this seems like a perfect fit. In terms of weight - you can see online that the difference is minor.

Now who knows, maybe the insides are made from tissue paper, but even for myself this is a tempting reel.

13. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

bret it looks like a factory upgraded spheros. extral bearing, handle and upgraded drag. cant be beat in my book.

The new FB Spheros has been upgraded too. Same 44lbs drag as Saragosa on the 14000 and a new 18000 has been added Price went up a little to $179.99. See this thread for some details:

2CoolFishing - New Saltwater Spinning reels and accessory kit

14. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

held the 18k today
    Where did they have them in stock already? I am thinking of ordering one.

I am trying to decide between the 14000 and the 18000. It seems the 14000 might be enough reel but i don't know...

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I saw the 18k at FTU - not sure if they had other models

16. SkeeterRonnie

Kurtis- my reel was the spheros 14000... like you and I discussed- the handle isnt big enough... thats the only concern I have with them- other than upgrading the drags(felt washers suck!)

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

this handle was the big ball type handle. it could've been bigger, but wasn't bad.

18. SkeeterRonnie

the spheros has a little rectangle sized doohicke for a handle. it was a pain at times..

19. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

if i get one, I'm definitely going for the bailless kit to match with it

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how about you just get it and test it....so then I can decide wheter I will get one or not ;-)