Shimano Saragosa Drags

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by rtran, May 8, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I will be taking my drag system out tonight to check it out. On my last trip my Stella drags started sticking toward the end as you know and I think that was due to the boat ride splashing and soaking the reel in water. When I opened it everything has at least some sort of moisture or grease. I am going to open my saragosa as I did not test it much to know if it would of started sticking or not. What should I be looking for when I take it apart? Grease on everything? Dry? Thanks

Rich

2. alantani

alantani Senior Member

the mantra is always the same. find a set of carbon fiber drag washers, grease them with cal's drag grease, lube the bearings and put a light coat of grease on all the non-exposed metal surfaces. good luck! alan

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thank you alan.

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

11.50 for a set of Carbontex from Smooth Drag for the 18000F reel :) But they are closed til next week :D As you can see I was about to do the same thing :p

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

could have just bought a cabo 80 and been done with it. thier drags are badd ass. much better than the non stella shimanos. just my opinion:?

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have a foolproof method for when my Stellas need servicing--send them to Alan with check. :)

7. alantani

alantani Senior Member

you know, guys, the top drag spinners are a piece of cake. match up the stock drag washers with something on the list, get some drag grease and throw them in. if you can measure them out and send me a pm with the dimensions, i can even send you a set. the smaller drag washers average a buck each, plus a buck for postage stamps. for $4 on average, you can have a drag system that will absolutely stay smooth forever. remember, this is for top drag spinners only. i won't touch bottom drag spinners, they're a nightmare to work on!!!!! alan

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Alan: I have Stellas and Twinspins. Are any of those of the "nightmare" variety?

Russ

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

could have just bought a cabo 80 and been done with it. thier drags are badd ass. much better than the non stella shimanos. just my opinion:?

Actually the saragosa drags look in good condition after I took it apart. Only my stella drags are messed up at this point.

10. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i like stellas :>

11. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I would not reccomend the cabo 80 to anyone at this point.

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I would not reccomend the cabo 80 to anyone at this point.

whys that eddie if you dont mind me asking?

13. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

Because everyone I have has self destructed in some way in less then 2 months. I am on my 3rd or 4th replacement to the original one I bought they keep replacing it and I keep tearing them up.

The spehros at least last 6 months before I can trashcan them.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Because everyone I have has self destructed in some way in less then 2 months. I am on my 3rd or 4th replacement to the original one I bought they keep replacing it and I keep tearing them up.

Eddie, how much drag do you use with Cabo 80 ? I thought charter boat captains out of Venice, LA love the reels. :)

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

LOL, the cost of replacing all them all the time you actually better off with spheros as you say. Try saragosa as your next reel.

16. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I am not using much drag. I have heard from tackle dealers that the 60s and below are fine but some of the 80s come out of the factory not even working. Its broken right now and I have to take the spool off to reattach the bail. The bail comes off at least every other trip.

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Capt Eddie- are you running the stock felt drags in the spheros or putting carbon fibers in them?