Shimano Ocean Jigger 4000p/5000p

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Well I received my customer jigging master yesterday from JPR rods. Super nice rod. I planned to try out the Quantum Aruba on it, but I just can't do it. The rod is just too sweet to put that big heavy Aruba on. I got rid of my B2-665N so I need another reel to put on this rod. Will be used to jig AJ's. Plan on running 80# line. Like the drag specs and reviews of the Ocea Jigger. What is the difference between the 4000p and 5000p? Is one just slightly wider than the other? Where in the US can one aquire one? Is the drag pressure plate required on the Ocea Jigger as it is required on the Trinidad?

Thanks everyone.

Gary

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

gmack,

I can't say enough nice things about this reel. I have a 5000P and love it. For your application I'd stick with the 4000P (the 5000 holds about 450m). It holds 300m of PE8 which is more than enough for AJ's and the narrow spool is awesome for speed jigging. I don't know if it "needs" the upgraded drag plate because it pulls over 35lbs of drag w/o sweating.

The only source I know of in the US is sold out. You can find many sellers on Ebay who can get you the reel (where I got mine). Another option is just buy a Trini 40N and you can purchase an after market handle identical to the ocea jigger. The only significant difference between the two is that the Trini had a clicker but the Ocea has a spool lock.

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

what is the spool lock?

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Spool lock is design to lock your spool in case you get hang up while bottom fishing.
    All these reels with spool lock is design for bottom fishing if I am not mistaken.

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

You could do a manual spool lock like the deckhands on the Big E. They let enough line out to wrap all the way around the outside of the reel twice so that they can break the line.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You could do a manual spool lock like the deckhands on the Big E. They let enough line out to wrap all the way around the outside of the reel twice so that they can break the line.
    That is the best way to break expensive PE(braided line) at right on the reel. :) Mono lines are OK to wrap around the reel, but it is no no for braided line as braided lines can get easily cut when contacted with sharp object.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I haven't used my ocea yet, but when a fish is ready to be gaffed or brought into the boat i'll either put the reel in full, thumb the spool, or both. a little judgement here if the fish is green, but it just helps keep them steady for the gaff.

8. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Has anyone every used a place called All American Outdoors in Collinsville, TX? They say they can order it for me at $500.

Thanks again.

Gary

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Has anyone every used a place called All American Outdoors in Collinsville, TX? They say they can order it for me at $500.

Thanks again.

Gary

No but theres a guy on E-bay (believe he is in California) that has them for $439.

d-a

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

yea wrapping around the frame ive seen the braid actually cut into some reel frames

11. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Pete/WLB has a proved method where he uses a shirt over his hand then takes a wrap and pops it loose. Saves reels, antireverse, rods and all kinds of stuff. Braid breaks pretty easy that way, but then again, he is a big boy and makes it look easy.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

Can we just go to the metric system? I hate all this meters, yards, etc. I am just the dumb unsophisticated type. Redneck?