360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Shimano Ocea Plugger Full Throttle Advice

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bucktail 
They're solid rods. The guys on on the Shimano team use them for both bluefin and yellowfin. They are designed to be high-sticked, which puts maximum pressure on the fish if you're fighting with a spinning setup. Jack Sprengel up in Rhode Island uses them for some legit bluefin and has had very good success with them. Same down in Panama with yellowfin with Juan Spragge, and in Venice with the Journey South crew. Quite honestly, I've seen the rods be beat to hell and they have held up fine.

Mid-shore NJ you should be good with a MH if you're fishing the 60-100lb range. If you're targeting over 100lbs, go with the H.

Honest response is that I don't know. I never used the older Terez ones, only played with the Ocea Plugger Full Throttle in Panama a few months ago. Given how Shimano usually releases things, I would say they're probably a step up, as their tech trickles down to lower models, not up to higher end models like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.