360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Looking into possibly getting one of these rods down the road. We do mostly what is considered the mid-shore grounds here in NJ. Fishing for bluefin/yellowfin. Currently using a 7’8” Terez which I guess is fine, but as a fisherman I’m always wanting the next best thing.
Anybody fish these rods and have an opinion on them?
Considering either the MH or the H as I generally use 65-80 lb line and throw anywhere from 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 ounces. Thanks in advance.
-Bob
Font Number Electric blue Circle Screenshot

Font Electric blue Number Circle Rectangle

Writing implement Parallel Font Musical instrument accessory Slope

·
Registered
77 Posts
stiff for fighting fish. Hmmm, MH may be too light for bft or cow ytft. Its a great rod though, just compared to RF, MC Works, Daiwa, its def. stiffer. Im not a super strong guy so i prefer a bit more of a parabolic action

·
Registered
758 Posts
They're solid rods. The guys on on the Shimano team use them for both bluefin and yellowfin. They are designed to be high-sticked, which puts maximum pressure on the fish if you're fighting with a spinning setup. Jack Sprengel up in Rhode Island uses them for some legit bluefin and has had very good success with them. Same down in Panama with yellowfin with Juan Spragge, and in Venice with the Journey South crew. Quite honestly, I've seen the rods be beat to hell and they have held up fine.

Mid-shore NJ you should be good with a MH if you're fishing the 60-100lb range. If you're targeting over 100lbs, go with the H.

·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're solid rods. The guys on on the Shimano team use them for both bluefin and yellowfin. They are designed to be high-sticked, which puts maximum pressure on the fish if you're fighting with a spinning setup. Jack Sprengel up in Rhode Island uses them for some legit bluefin and has had very good success with them. Same down in Panama with yellowfin with Juan Spragge, and in Venice with the Journey South crew. Quite honestly, I've seen the rods be beat to hell and they have held up fine.

Mid-shore NJ you should be good with a MH if you're fishing the 60-100lb range. If you're targeting over 100lbs, go with the H.
Thanks Benwah22. Would you say they are a big improvement over the older Terez popping rods?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Honest response is that I don't know. I never used the older Terez ones, only played with the Ocea Plugger Full Throttle in Panama a few months ago. Given how Shimano usually releases things, I would say they're probably a step up, as their tech trickles down to lower models, not up to higher end models like this.

·
2,296 Posts
They are a big improvement over the old Terez rods I still have a couple TZS-78XH rod set ups I use for loaners but at one time they were my go to set ups. I have an Ocea S83MH as one of my back ups and as was mentioned it is stiffer than the old Terez, casts great and it will tolerate some high sticking. The old Terez had the fore grip that I really liked, it gives more leverage but it does not tolerate high sticking at all.

·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are a big improvement over the old Terez rods I still have a couple TZS-78XH rod set ups I use for loaners but at one time they were my go to set ups. I have an Ocea S83MH as one of my back ups and as was mentioned it is stiffer than the old Terez, casts great and it will tolerate some high sticking. The old Terez had the fore grip that I really liked, it gives more leverage but it does not tolerate high sticking at all.
Thank you Kim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts