Shimano buys PowerPro

Discussion in 'Announcement & News' started by feeder, Jan 7, 2009.

1. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Looks like we'll be seeing a marketing blitz on Power Pro this year.

Article Link

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

shimano couldnt have picked a worse line that power pro.

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Give them a year. Their marketing team will have tons of people thinking it's the greatest thing ever......Trevala anyone? :D

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

They can blitz all they want, They could give me a lifetime supply and I wouldn't use it.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Give them a year. Their marketing team will have tons of people thinking it's the greatest thing ever......Trevala anyone? :D

hahhahahah that is a very true and funny statement

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i saw what they did to G Loomis, and know that the powerpro will get worse as well. (if thats even possible :) )

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

SkeeterRonnie: I am not sure that would be possible. The only reason it sells now is because of marketing, because if you use it long enough you will figure out it is pure junk. Especially once you try some real braid. JB or Tuf-Line XP

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if they jsut buy it and sell it then the quality won't improve. but they could just be buying the name and will produce a good product. we just have to wait and see.

9. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I used to use it (when I didn't know any better), but won't touch it now after using other lines like JB and Izo. Hopefully they put some R&D dollars behind it, but I'm thinking it will be rebranded with an increase in price.

You'll soon be able to get a combo package like one of thos kids rods that come wrapped in shrink wrap in Walmart. Only it will cost a lot more: Trevala rod, torium reel, powerpro backing, shimano butterfly jig.

10. Dale

Dale Junior member

SkeeterRonnie: I am not sure that would be possible. The only reason it sells now is because of marketing, because if you use it long enough you will figure out it is pure junk. Especially once you try some real braid. JB or Tuf-Line XP

how long does it take to figure out it's "junk"... been using it over 20 years in fresh and salt water and besides for a load I got on an Avet a couple years back have had no problems with it... for what you pay for PP verses the others, I'll stick with PP...

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

if they jsut buy it and sell it then the quality won't improve. but they could just be buying the name and will produce a good product. we just have to wait and see.
    I'd be willing to bet, being shimano, that they purchased the factory connects also. They will probably produce the same product but call it something like "power pro gold"....
    Just putting a new name and having shimano's marketing team on it will sell double.

12. DanS

DanS Senior Member

I have a contact in the company. So I'll just ask him to explain Shimano's business model and future plans for the company. He may not know or make not be willing to share, but it's worth a try.

I'm not an engineer and do know what's all involved, but to correct PowerPro's short comings, Shimano must change the current line's square 4 thread design to the round 8 thread design.

Comments?

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Or like some of the top braids on the market make it 16 strand.

14. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

dans hit the nail on the head. if power pro changes it product from a 4 thread to a 8 thread weave they would have a better reputation for quaility. however once you go past 8 weave to a 16 thread weave the cost increases dramaticly....rick

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Just remember the old addage. You get what you pay for. If you pay nothing you get nothing in return.

16. gman

gman Senior Member

I would only guess this was a good strategic move for them as now they own the last line of the fishing "systems" they offer. Line. I believe they will improve the quality and re market the line as something remarkable and they will succeed they normally do