Shimano butterfly jigs...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by VaRandy, May 27, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I am new to the world of jigging and have the following questions.

Retail small new Butterfly jigs (including the glow models) are selling for $20 retail for the small ones (no hooks) and are made in Japan.

Others that also say Shimano Butterfly "flat" models near the same size are made in China and sell for half of that. The $20 one does not have flat sides.
    Will they fall the same or not?

How important is either for different species or am I making too much about it?

Thanks

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Shimano released two types of jigs ...

1. Butterfly (retails for up to $24 a jig). This jig is symetrical in shape and has great reflective appearance, made up to 270g and is made specifically for jigging vertical. The jigs are made to react to a vertical presentation and aren't as effective if there is a strong current which will make the jig go more horizontal hence the birth of the flat sided jigs

2. Butterfly flat sided (retail for $17.99) This jig has one solid mettalic side in either gold or silver and one painted side, made up to 325g These jigs are shaped differently with one flat side and are made to be fished from a non vertical position in a heavy drift

3. etan

etan Senior Member

There are lots of good jigs out there. Williamson, River2Sea, diamond jig, OTI, etc. all catch fish. Jigging is mostly personal preference. When we started fishing tuna on the headboats in Port Aransas in 2002 the Tady 4/0 was the hot jig. Everything works some time!

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Yes alot of good Jigs are on the market, it has grown simulair as the US wine and beer market. Choose what you like.
    Get good terminal tackle, hooks ect.
    OTI covers such.

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Do you want a blonde or a redhead???

They all work. Some are better on different days.

Ask the fish what they want today and be prepared to give it to um.. The cost is your consideration...

6. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Bass Pro has an equivalent that cost much less and they come with hooks.

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I really believe there are NO equivilents to SHIMANO jigs. period.

In japan they build huge tanks to test different action, shapes, sizes, sounds, and motion of assist hooks to test run all type of jigs. There are no other companies that do this.

wave tank research just for $20 dollar jigs! kudos to them...

8. gman

gman Senior Member

In japan they build huge tanks to test different action, shapes, sizes, sounds, and motion of assist hooks to test run all type of jigs. There are no other companies that do this.

I would agree to a certain point, I do not openly bash them as some do becuase I actually feel their jigs work great. I love their reels as well although they could have done more to bring an equivilant of their Japanese jigging rods here.

There are two very different markets the US only gets a glimpse of what offered world wide and although they do make two nice styled jigs they fail in comparasin in many other ways to the global jig market

There are many other jigs that work, there is no perfect jig. I do not believe you can even compare a fisherman's Andaman, Sanme or Hots such as the Drift Tune jigs to a butterfly, not even close, for the US market they work well globally they fall short with only 2 designs and limited weights

Just my opinion, they are great and work well but definately not the best

9. gman

gman Senior Member

There are many companies that test their jigs in tanks and extensive field testing such as Hots, Fisherman Brand, SevenSeas, Shout, Smith & Evergreen just to name a few. These are the major jig suppliers world wide who have been around in this segment of the fishing business for longer than most

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Jig selection is very important. I learn more every trip. I believe that current and the bait the fish are feeding on is very important to having a successful jigging adventure.

For instance. The past two weekends the fan hasn't stopped. The seas have been very rough. Currents have been very strong inshore. In fact, shallow water (70 to 100ft) have had extremely strong currents. The standard Shimano butterfly jigs did nothing. I switch over to the flatside jigs, and it was one Jack Craval after another.

In the deeper inshore water (120 to 210') the current was not as strong. I did best jigging the OTI Jager 200 gram. The flatside couldn't buy a bite. The Sevenseas Hooker, which is normally a very productive jig couldn't buy a bite. The Smith Nagamasa in silver was hot in 180 to 210'. I think it's because the fish were feeding on small ribbon fish at the rocks. The ribbon fish are tiny right now. At least the ones at the bait shops. You're lucky to find them over 12 to 13".

Weather looks to finally be nice this coming weekend. I wasn't planning on it, but I just might have to see what it is like to go out and not get the crap beat out you in the GOM. I'm still a little sore from last weekend.

If your marking fish. Just keep changing jigs. You will eventually find a home-run. The only fish I was catching was kingfish and Jacks. I did catch a few undersized AJ's on a Jitterbel glow color. The water color was foggy green 40 miles out. In fact, to hit blue water right now out of Port A, you have to travel 97 miles due east. Gunnison is green, Boomvang is blue. South is best. Camels Head is in blue water. It's only about 55 miles off Port Isabel.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Another case of brainwash by Shimano. :)
    As Mrbill said very few jigs work in any condition.

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

one "jig" I never see mentioned on the various jigging sites is the "Sting Silver". While this very inexpensive jig may be fairly regional and only common in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S., it's very effective for a wide range of fish and costs a very small fraction of what some of the jigs mentioned here run. Granted, there seems to be an affection for pricey jigs and poppers by many although I've never found a fish that can distinguish price tags very well.

...and although I don't know this for a fact, I would bet heavily that Haw River Tackle doesn't tank-test Sting Silver's :D

13. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

shimano isn't the only company that tank tests there jigs. ...rick

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

diamond jigs work for everything, and have for a long time. shimano jigs work as well, but theyre not the only thing that works.

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

haha, ksong... u are practically right. But where can we find info on the remaining companies and their research that is like Shimano's? Much of the websites would be in japanese so we'd have to eliminate those.

Where did you learn about this info? Did you test every jig from the perspective companies, learn from trade shows, and/or just stay on top of the industry from testing new products sent to you?

Kil, i really want to know. And it seems like you are the one to learn from.

:) pressure question from a newbie...

Another case of brainwash by Shimano. :)
    As Mrbill said very few jigs work in any condition.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Enoch, you can not buy Japanese products including Shimano's just based on their own descriptions. Whenever I read them, I get the illusions that their products have magic touches. :) I stick to proven jigs unless new jigs prove themselves. I don't have to buy Shimano's Butterfly jigs to test as other fishermen buy them and test them and all I have to do is to watch them catching fish. :)
    I posted a few times that Shimano's Trevala rods are not suitable for offshore tuna jigging, but fishermen keep buying them like waves just based on their misleading 100 -200 lbs ratings. I know they keep buying Shimano's Butterfly jigs no matter what as they are Shimano's. :)

When I went grouper fishing on an 44 hour trips on the Viking out of Tarpon Spring, FL, they sold Shimano's Butterfly jigs and I caught 22 groupers (including shorts) on cheap hammered diamond jigs on that trip. When I visited again on the boat, I saw they sell diamond jigs and get rid of Butterfly jigs.:eek: I don't know it was because of my catches on diamond jigs or not, but certainly they see the effectiveness of hammered diamond jigs over expensive Butterfly jigs.
    Among Shimano's Butterfly jigs, I like Flat-side jigs and I caught many tuna on the jigs last year.

17. hthoang

hthoang Junior member

diamond jigs work for everything, and have for a long time. shimano jigs work as well, but theyre not the only thing that works.

I used diamond jigs for the first time offshore recently. I had heard that they were effective for blackfin but I hadn't really considered them for snapper, ambjerjack, etc. They outfished the jigs that I had at a fraction of the cost per jig. $4-$5 with hooks! Sure beats tossing $15-$20 jigs, especially near oil rigs in the GOM.

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

19. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

As most everyone here knows, having confidence in whatever you are using really seems to affect getting bit. I was never much a fan of the Williamson jigs but one of the guys on my first Mexico trip last year was up on the bow getting bit just CONSTANTLY on a Williamson jig. Granted, the rest of us on other jigs weren't going hungry either but just seeing a product actually work really helps boost confidence.

I have several dozen Hooker-1 jigs that look so good I might eat them myself. Sadly, I can't get them into fishes mouths as well as many other jigs, I just don't get bit on them much. I'm not planning on putting them in the recycling bin but my high hopes for them have been stunted.

With those diamond jigs being so shiny on every side, I'd suspect they'd be a candidate for wahoo but I've never managed a hoo on anything other than ballyhoo...

While on my daily walk last week in Florida, I saw a kitchen knife laying in the street (just the dull butter knife type). I got to thinking: drill a hole in the tip section, put a split ring on there, tie on an assist hook and I bet that would work great :D

20. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

hatidua: Actually, you read my mind. I've got several surprise lures I am working up to prove my theory (not mine alone) that you can catch offshore fish on damned near anything--the problem is just finding the damned critters. The world will soon see what I have in store. Here's a clue: One part will relate to a President who was more renowned for his service in the House of Representatives, then in the White House.

Russ