Shimano Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Casper, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Casper

Casper New Member

Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the group, just retired and moved to New England. I've been an avid fresh water angler for over 30 years and am looking forward to learning this world.

I've used Shimano products during that time (Muskie, Pike, Lake Trout, Smallmouth, Largemouth) and have a very high opinion of Shimano gear. My Calcutta reels have been dropped in boats, float planes, baggage handlers, they have been submerged, rained on , snowed on, frozen plus the crap that goes on while fishing. This stuff works.

I know I'm taking a long way around the barn, here is my question. I currently have for my saltwater gear a couple Van Staal (VSB250XP and VSB200XP) and a Shimano Stella 18000.

My goal now that I'm retired (never had kids) is to drive up & down the east coast fishing. My question is:

Should I buy a Shimano Stella 14000 to round out the arsenal and travel with 4 great rods & reels or a Stella 10000?

What would you do?

2. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

Buy a lightly used or new stella SWB 8-14k (2013-18) and you can buy a few spare spools (8k/10k/14k etc) for one reel.

3. Casper

Casper New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. What do you like about the 8K?