360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those in the know: how do these two manufacturers treat warranty for their top-end reels? Anyone have any negative experiences?

Also, if buying from EBay—does it matter who I purchase from so long as reel is new? There are good deals from individuals and Japanese stores alike and wondering if it’s worth it to save 100-200 bucks and if that changes how these two treat any warranty work.

Thanks!

· Registered
73 Posts
Shimano USA will not service the reels purchased from a Japanese vendor.....I believe they can tell by the serial numbers....Other then that Shimanos service on the Stellas have been phenomenal...I send them back every year and you get a brand new reel back, they change pretty much all the internals even if they dont need to..I have no experience with Daiwa

· Registered
68 Posts
I just posted a positive experience I just had with Daiwa in another thread BUT unless you’re the first owner and purchased from an actual dealer you will not get their clean/warranty program. I’d be more apt to buy a JDM shimano (maybe not the stella as the platinum service plan is probably with a few hundred bucks over the life of the reel) as finding parts and self servicing are doable. For Daiwa, you need a special tool (which can be found on eBay for $50) and aftermarket ferrofluid for Daiwa (plus whatever fluid they use for the ATD drag).

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just posted a positive experience I just had with Daiwa in another thread BUT unless you’re the first owner and purchased from an actual dealer you will not get their clean/warranty program. I’d be more apt to buy a JDM shimano (maybe not the stella as the platinum service plan is probably with a few hundred bucks over the life of the reel) as finding parts and self servicing are doable. For Daiwa, you need a special tool (which can be found on eBay for $50) and aftermarket ferrofluid for Daiwa (plus whatever fluid they use for the ATD drag).
appreciate the input. Seems like paying an extra couple hundred is actually worth it if you plan on keeping reel 5 years or so

292 Posts
I have had Shimano USA service JDM imported reels (2013 Stella SWBs 20k and 8k) but they need to be the same models as what is available in the US. They might not have parts for the JDM models only that they never carried over to the US market. They never asked for serial numbers. You just go select the reel model on the website and send the reel in once they generate the work order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts