360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question for the guys and gals who have used the 30000 sw before. I have always used the conventional penn international 2 reels with a matching 130 rod and have landed a few hundred tuna with them through the years. I used to own a commercial licence for bluefin in pei. My father and brother still have licences and I was wondering if the Stella 30000 would have the courage to land a 1000 pound fish. My largest to date is 1383 pounds. Do you also have a good suggestion for a stand up rod to match the reel for this task.

·
2,661 Posts
I honestly don't think that any spinning reel is up for that task. But you never know.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There is no way 30000 can land 500 lb fish unless you want to chase fish for half a day, not enough drag (I own couple 30k)
Only spinning reel I can think of is new makaira 30 K but my limit would be around 500 plus (okuma claim they cough 1000 lb marlin -that's possible if you follow fish and isn't deep).Only rod I can recommend bh450 or giant blank. I landed 400 lb bull shark pregnant female from shore on makaira and 8'6" bh nano.
I'm Stella big fan but I believe makaira is way stronger reel than Stella

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no way 30000 can land 500 lb fish unless you want to chase fish for half a day, not enough drag (I own couple 30k)
Only spinning reel I can think of is new makaira 30 K but my limit would be around 500 plus (okuma claim they cough 1000 lb marlin -that's possible if you follow fish and isn't deep).Only rod I can recommend bh450 or giant blank. I landed 400 lb bull shark pregnant female from shore on makaira and 8'6" bh nano.
I'm Stella big fan but I believe makaira is way stronger reel than Stella
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am pretty positive the 500 lb'ers will be on the lighter side of what will be hooked. Watch "Feeding the giant bluefin tuna on fishermans bank" on youtube. It will give you an idea of what iI am up against.

·
6,002 Posts
Don't those guys use 70#s of drag in order to boat those fish under the hour or so regulation? Just about anything can be caught on just about anything if conditions are right. For example, having bottom shallow enough fish can't spool what you have. Chase anything long enough and it might just exhaust itself to the point of not recovering. If for the table than not a problem. Assuming angler is robust enough to last it.

I had purchased the 30k to chase OBX munchkins. Never got the chance but I'm sure it could have handled anything the 20K did. Thousand pound anything I believe is out of this reel's league. Even if angler could last the battle and time wasn't a limiting factor.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There is no way 30000 will even stop 400 lb on deep water (obx) I cough 350 and 400 on maxed out 18K and 92" beast took line all the way to sea floor I glad it was cc not obx otherwise she would be gone with all line at first run that's my two cents

·
Registered
276 Posts
597 pounder caught on the cape a couple years ago on the 18k Stella...I think the Stella's and dogfights are so good that the question is are you capable of doing it? The 30k does 44 pounds of drag and the 18 and 20k do 55 pounds. 1000 pounder you're talking 45 pounds of drag at least, so palming the spool the whole fight will be the only option on the 30k. Holding onto 45 pounds of drag on a spinning rod for anywhere over 4-5 minutes is another story. In my opinion...the reel is capable, us humans are not

·
5,115 Posts
Chase anything long enough and it might just exhaust itself to the point of not recovering.
If for the table than not a problem.
Guess you never heard of lactic acid in tuna
and what it does to the meat.

As usual, you got it completely wrong.
Fight a tuna to it dies of exhaustion,
and the meat is total trash.

Reactions: sharkfishing76

·
6,002 Posts
Guess you never heard of lactic acid in tuna
and what it does to the meat.

As usual, you got it completely wrong.
Fight a tuna to it dies of exhaustion,
and the meat is total trash.
I've actually mentioned that as to why you should fight Tuna hard and fast but that's not the point I'm making here. Do find it hard to believe you never read my comments on Tuna and lactic build up considering you seem to read everything. My number one fanboy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts