Shiman Torsa

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pbusanga, Jul 5, 2006.

1. pbusanga

pbusanga Junior member

sorry should have included it in my last thread....

has anyone tried the Shimano Torsa yet how does it compare to accurate Boss reels

thanks

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i have the torsa 20 and 30 and a few accurate 665's and if price is not an option then the torsa wins hands down. i like the handle on the torsa a lot more than the handle on the accurate. i do however like the fact that the accurate is a lever drag as opposed the torsa star drags. you did not say how you are going to use the reel but the torsa is way over priced in my opinion. i have gone to the avet lx 2speed for jigging as i like the option of having that low gear when a larger fish happens to hit. i also like the lighter weight of the avet when i have to jig all day. with the addition of the extra cam or 2 then the price gets even greater on the torsa. you can nearly buy 2 advets or 2 accurates for the price of the torsa....rick

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I suggest to wait until you see new jigging reels from Avet and Penn.
    The Avet makes a new jigging reel which is slightly bigger than LX model and has max drag about 25 lbs at strike and 30 lbs at full. Of course it is two speed.

Penn is also making powerful compact star drag jigging reels which have over 30 lbs max drag. The reel is going to be manufactured in the USA.

They are talking about $380 - 430 for those reels, way cheaper than Torsa.

[​IMG]

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Kil,

The Avet jigging reel you mentioned, are they Narrow or regular width?

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

The Avet jigging reel you mentioned, are they Narrow or regular width?
    They did not mention about spool size, but I assume they make different sizes as they do for other models.

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Thanks for you info.

7. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

I like the Torsa's. They are expensive but those big gears and long power handle make up for only being one speed. Mcgolfer, my torsa's all have a lever drag. You must be thinking of the trinidad. I also own accurate boss reels and used to enjoy them until I got the Torsa's. My boss's don't have the new cast control. My favorite accurate product is the pliers. I owned a couple of the platinum twindrag 80W's for a while before Hawaiin Air lost them. SOB's never found them. Yea, 30 minute flight from Honalolu to Kona nonstop and only my fishing gear is missing.

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Welcome to 360 Gunsmoke.

The twin drag is a nice reel, got one my self.

Did you claim for lost laguage from the airlines? or did you insured it? Sorry for your lost.

Hawain air broke on of my stand up rod before and they only pay me $300 for it.

9. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

I got a whopping 500 bucks. I lost two twindrag 80w's, and two 130 tiagras. All were in one zero halliburton aluminum travel case. Indestructible but a target for thief's. I got 10 cents on the dollar. I now only fly on Aloha Air when in Hawaii.

That same year I lost 90% of my stock portfolio during the tech boom. Only stock that was a positive was McDonalds. Therefore, I no longer fly Hawaiian Air or play the stock market. My problem is that I love fishing. Just like any other avid angler, I have accumulated way to much tackle over the years.

Last weekend I did a good thing. I was worn out from fishing three straight days in the rain and spent the day off clearing out a fishing tackle room. I had a bunch of older nice stuff that I would never use again. My wife said "Lets give it away to someone who needs it." So we decided to go the jetties and pick out one family that showed responsibility and family values. Being the 4th of July weekend it was packed and there was one family with cousins that were very nice and sober. I gave them over 15 rods and reels. Lots of daiwa black gold spinners (bg60s and bg90s) with penn slammer rods, penn senators, and two big bags of spoons, lures, line and other things that I will not miss.

The outcome was very rewarding. They were extremely grateful and tears were flowing from all the women. We had reservations at a nice restaurant but when they offered to feed us we couldn't refuse. We spent over an hour with this family and I think I received more than them.

10. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

gunsmoke
    you are correct i made a dumb mistake as my torsa's do have lever drags. the issue that i didn't like about the torsa's was having to buy different cams to get the drag strength i desired. too many toys and not enough time to play with them.

that was a nice thing you did or that family. glad you held on to that mc donald's stock....rick

11. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

Actually, I sold the McDonald's, but at least I made money. I might buy in again. My wife went to a McDonald's convention in Orlando this year and she was very impressed with the company and its outlook toward the future.

I only have the orginal LRS cam that came with the Torsa. Not sure I will ever change it out. It is nice to know that one reel could actually fit many types of fishing. If I was only allowed to buy one reel, I would have to pick the torsa. I'm sure a lot of women out there would vote for a law that only allowed a man to own one reel.

12. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Kil

Thanks for the new Avet reel info.

Any indication as to when the Avet Jig reels will be available.. Also do you know if they will have Cast Control? I'm glad they are upgrading the drag system to 25/30 .. that was my only concern with the current LX 2 speeds.

It would be nice to use one reel for both Topwater and Jigs with a lever drag and 2 speeds for big fish. Hope the new Avet Jig Models include the centrifugal braking.

Bazz

13. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

which do you prefer?

14. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

Get the 30. Extra capacity will come in handy.

15. ksh9711

ksh9711 Junior member

I am fixing to buy 2 torsa reels but have not made up my mind on which one, 20 or 30. Is there a big difference between the spool size. I will be jigging for tuna with them i know one holds more line but is the 20 easyer to jig with being a smaller spool and lighter reel.

Thanks, Kevin

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

someone with experience please answer about the 20 or 30 for jigging? thanks

17. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

the 20 is just fine for what you are looking to do. if you want a slightly used one with a lrs cam in it i have one that i will sell for 480 dollars that has some nicks in the left side plate due to my metal watch band but is a 10 mechanically and is spooled with solid 80lb jerry brown spectre. or you can have a 30 spooled the same way for 500 dollars. rick 580 298-7425

18. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

jt2hunt
    the 20 is probably a better jigging reel as it is a little lighter and usually line capacity with the use of spectre should not be an issue. both have the same drags and if you have to jig all day or night then you will appreciate the lighter reel....rick

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil

Thanks for the new Avet reel info.

Any indication as to when the Avet Jig reels will be available.. Also do you know if they will have Cast Control? I'm glad they are upgrading the drag system to 25/30 .. that was my only concern with the current LX 2 speeds.

It would be nice to use one reel for both Topwater and Jigs with a lever drag and 2 speeds for big fish. Hope the new Avet Jig Models include the centrifugal braking.

Bazz
    When I called today, they say the reel is available in Oct and they have no intention to install cast control. I don't think any lever drag reel has a cast control.

Penn Torgue 30 won the "Best Saltwater Reel" for 2006 at the ICAST fishing trade show in Las Vegas this past week.

20. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

ksh9711,

The torsa line of reels are fantastic. Your making a great choice in buying a pair of these reels. Once you fish with one, you'll find yourself taking your old favorites off rods and into coolers for storage. As for the 20 or 30 it might depend on your size. Jigging is tiresome. The weight of the 30 doesn't bother me. Of course, I get bored if nothing happens in 30 minutes. I either move on to another location, or send down a live bait. Remember, this reel is not just for jigging. I see no reason not to use it as a trolling reel. The high speed is offset with the long handle and huge gears.