Shibukis

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by txcards, Apr 8, 2009.

1. txcards

txcards Senior Member

What colors and lip or lipless does everyone recommend for GOM tuna?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Sardine, Meiji/Tuna, Mullet/Anchovy, Spooked Sardine, Pearl, Flying fish, Spooked Flying fish, Red bellied Mullet/Anchovy, Red bellied Sardine, Squid. Those are Souls Brabus colors. All those should work well. Go with the lipped ones.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

I favor the Flying Fish and Sardines as they have worked very well for me. The lipped ones are simple to use as lipless need little more manipulation. Both are excellent lures.

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

are there any generics that are cheaper, and still good quality.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I haven't found any. Problem with generic lures is the poor quality of hardware and not thru-wire construction. A big tuna will shred it. The action on the cheapo lures aren't even comparable to the tackle house ones. Smith Baby Runboh is an excellent alternative for about $10 cheaper than the Brabus.

6. Papio, or any others who have answered...Do you favor the red belly or white belly?

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Papio, or any others who have answered...Do you favor the red belly or white belly?

They both work great.

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I favor the white belly on shibukis. IMO subsurface lures work best if they "match the hatch". Poppers and pencils on the other hand work best b/c of the type of disturbance they make. Dark colors that provide a sharp profile from below work well on these but so do natural colors.

9. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Just ass hook a hardtail and hang on Bro! They are free...

10. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Might want to look at Tackle House Sinking Works:

Angler's Pro Shop

Report showed they were killing them in Panama on these. Great lures, only issue is weight... Shibuki is 50% heavier. The 175mm model is only 60g, which is noticably lighter than 79g 186mm Shibuki. Especially since it's a big bodied lure.

I also Really like Skagit Design Lip Slider:

Angler's Pro Shop

Finish and overall quality is really nice. It's a smaller lure at 140mm, good for matching smaller bait. But it's still 70g. AND it includes good hooks and rings.

Jason

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I was looking hard at those skagits also. It just pisses me off that I cannot get a decent bait without spending $50, plus another $10 for the damn hooks. I am not THAT big a tackle ho' that I want to swap hooks on all my new lures. Are the skagit hooks decent?

See my other post on the new Storm lures. Has anybody used these?

12. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Owner hooks - 1/0 I think, split rings look OK too. Not really rigged for monsters, but good stuff.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Might want to look at Tackle House Sinking Works:

Angler's Pro Shop

Report showed they were killing them in Panama on these. Great lures, only issue is weight... Shibuki is 50% heavier. The 175mm model is only 60g, which is noticably lighter than 79g 186mm Shibuki. Especially since it's a big bodied lure.

I also Really like Skagit Design Lip Slider:

Angler's Pro Shop

Finish and overall quality is really nice. It's a smaller lure at 140mm, good for matching smaller bait. But it's still 70g. AND it includes good hooks and rings.

Jason

ive caught tuna on both of these. theyre good lures.

14. jig

jig Senior Member

Bret, no need to swap out hooks/rings on these two?

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont think the skagit came with hooks......i did change them on the tackle house. i used gamakatsu 4x 5/0 hooks i believe

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Bret, no need to swap out hooks/rings on these two?

Yes you need to change the hooks out. There thin compared to the st-66.

d-a