Shibuki Knockoff

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by luckydogiv, Oct 28, 2009.

1. luckydogiv

luckydogiv Junior member

On my last tuna trip one of there was talk of a shibuki knockoff, I believe John from north texas was using one on the Oct. Big E trip.

Anyone have any information on what the name of this lure is?

Thanks,

Mike

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

You mean the one that pulled out the cheap through wire on the first fish?

buy some soft swimbaits, they work as good or better.

3. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

Thats the one !! whats it called and who makes it .....so we all know not to be caught out !

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thats the one !! whats it called and who makes it .....so we all know not to be caught out !

Well if you buy the original shibuki, you won't have a problem.

d-a

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Or souls brabus, but they are hard to get.

6. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

AHHHHH !! the big secret ..... lucky i got a few souls brabus .

7. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Well if you buy the original shibuki, you won't have a problem.

d-a

that's true but how many of you have ones that no longer have the bill...

I got inspired by Larry Dalhberg lure building show so I'm going to try casting a few for the OTI trip.

8. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Those Japanese lures are very nice and obviously catch fish/fishermen but I don't see why they need to price something that is mass produced out of molds at $50+. I am not buying a lure that costs $50+ only to have it lost during a fight with a big tuna or worse have a bluefish bite it off. There are plenty of other lures that will take tuna just as well and cost half or more of the much talked about Japanese lures. I guess if they will pay the price then why not make em' real expensive.

9. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Ahhhh, remember the good 'ol days when "Made in Japan" meant it was cheap.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

that's true but how many of you have ones that no longer have the bib...

I got inspired by Larry Dalhberg lure building show so I'm going to try casting a few for the OTI trip.

Kevin

I'm not sure what you mean by the "bib". But if your refering to the bill, I haven't had the problems that Steve has with the bill getting broke off by the deck hands.

Of course I keep pressure on the lure when the deckies get to swinging.

d-a

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

It's not just billy clubs that cause damage to your lures. Most people don't realize that lure's and jigs get very beat up and broken once the tuna hits the deck. That flopping on the deck can be brutal. I've seen many poppers get split, cracked and eyes lost with that pounding. Jigs will bend and paint will fly off.

If possible, gaff and pin tuna next to the transom or gunnel. Remove your jig or lure before bringing the tuna on board. If you have him good and secure, go ahead and bleed him while he's still in the water. I realize that you can't do this on party boats, but just watch your lure next time you see the tuna bounce on that steel deck. It takes a good licking.

12. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

you spend hundreds and up to thousands $ to go
    fishing, what's another $50 ?

Shibukis are high quality like YO-ZURI, the cost is
    in the durable finish that was used. You can buy
    cheaper ones and they will work but you get what you
    paid for.

You need to spend money to keep the economy going
    :)

13. gman

gman Senior Member

Man you can't argue with the shibuki track record, tuna love them .... Period. We spend $1,000 on a reel, $500 on a rod a $40 dollar lure that always works is a steal. In panama it was a gaurenteed yelowfin on most casts

14. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

There is some internal mechanisms that make shibukis worth the money, it's not just a rapala for tuna. Anywhere I can get some shibukis delivered before the OTI trip? or anywhere in Houston that sells them?

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

There is some internal mechanisms that make shibukis worth the money, it's not just a rapala for tuna. Anywhere I can get some shibukis delivered before the OTI trip? or anywhere in Houston that sells them?

If you need some pm me, Ill be on the trip. I have a couple dozen.

d-a

16. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Man you can't argue with the shibuki track record, tuna love them .... Period. We spend $1,000 on a reel, $500 on a rod a $40 dollar lure that always works is a steal. In panama it was a gaurenteed yelowfin on most casts

Gman...where did you get that avatar man...very cool! :D :D

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you want to save the lure just hit the fish in the head while its on the gaff over the side of the boat. its not going anywhere. then when its in the boat its a lot calmer and you can take the lure out.

sure, shibukis are great but there are other lures that work great. tailwalk gunz, oti wave dancer (just waiting on owner hooks and they'll be available, guys :)), other tackle house lures, tadys, salas, etc will work very well also.

18. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

There are plenty of lures that will work for various types of pelagic but to know that you have one going in the water that will give you the edge, even mentally is priceless. The great thing about these lures in particular is that they really do last fish after fish and yes even with the broken off lips.

19. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Kevin

I'm not sure what you mean by the "bib". But if your refering to the bill, I haven't had the problems that Steve has with the bill getting broke off by the deck hands.

Of course I keep pressure on the lure when the deckies get to swinging.

d-a

Yes I meant "bill", was in a hurry and made a typo. I finally bought a couple for my cape cod trip and the fish I caught on it broke the off the bill while flopping on the deck :(