Shamano rod question

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by downthewall, Jul 14, 2009.

1. downthewall

downthewall Junior member

Have you guys ever used the shamano F trevella spinning med-heavy(6'3) rod? is it strong enough to pull in 40+ AM? rod looks kinda thin but i like how it feels.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I recommend you get the OTI 400g G3 Spinning rod instead of the Trevalla F Spinning for jigging use. It's very light weight and has an immense backbone. Much more solid and pleasurable to fish with than a Trevalla F. Cost is not much more.

If you want a longer rod, then the OTI 300g Spinning rod would suit you as it's 6'0" in length.

3. downthewall

thats definetely my next rod. but its too late, i've already gotten the trevela and was wondering if its a decent rod or not.

4. papio

papio Senior Member

I use the rod for big freshwater stripers at Lake Mead, Nevada. The rod fishing offshore mainly for tuna and amberjack is too soft - just not enough backbone. If you are ultralight fishing for very big fish the Trevala is okay.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It's a decent inshore snapper/kingfish rod. Other than that, you will probably not have much fun pulling on decent amberjacks and groupers with it.

6. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I've got several trevalas. I use them mainly for bass fishing, Some cod jigging.I get many fish between 20-30 lbs.on them, some bigger.I love the dam things for fish this size.My rods are a bit heavier than yours,but I'd be comfortable with anything under 50lbs with these rods.

7. e-sea-e

e-sea-e Junior member

I have that same rod and matched with a stradic 8000 i have landed many many bluefin up to about 60 lb without a problem, althought the fish closer to 60 lbs were the limits of the rod for sure. anything under 50 lb that rod will do fine. there are definately better rods out there and yes it could use a bit more backbone for jacks, tuna etc, but but dont feel bad you bought it. it is fine,for what youre doing, just not perfect.

I used love it as a rod that could make catching big bass/blues fun and still land a tuna. then the tuna up here went and got bigger. much bigger. if I ever start seeing 40 inch class bluefin again regularly its going back on the boat.

a 40 lb AM would be a blast on that rod.

8. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Shimano Trevalla is not bad for the price & lifetime warranty; however, my Trevalla rod stays on the rod rack once I have the OTI rod

9. downthewall

uh. i guess i will have to buy an oti soon.

10. papio

papio Senior Member

Hopper would be a good option if you can't get an OTI just yet.

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Put the Trevallas on ebay and buy the OTI after selling! :D