360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums here. I live in South Florida on the Gulf side. Most of the reefs and wrecks appear to be in the 20' - 60' depth range. To get to 100' is about 50-60 miles out. Most of the depths From what I read about SPJ, people appear to be SPJ'ing in the 100'+ depth range. I've fiddled a little with SPJ with no success but haven't really dedicated a lot of time to it yet. Have any of you had success in the shallower depth ranges of 20'-60'?

·
Retired Member
5,624 Posts
You sure can slow-pitch in shallow water, just need to downsize. I SPJ sea trout from my dock in 6’ to 12’ of water, depending on the tide. Now I’m not using 100g jigs of course! My go to jigs are the BlueBlue sea-ride minis from 3g to 12g. Don’t know of any SPJ rod that than work jigs that small so it took some looking but I found a Egi rod that is perfect. It’s a Squid Wicked Game rod rated for squid jigs up to 25g. Matched it with a Shimano sustain Ci4 1000. It may not be a vast water column to travel but a super slow slight lift, pause, then another super slow lift, drop and repeat is usually all it takes. I know it’s not true SPJing but it’s as close as you’re going to get in that little bit of water. But, man is it fun when you’ve hook up.

Benny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts