Setting up jigging reel for CCB BFT

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jfm, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jfm

jfm Junior member

I am new to jigging for BFT in Cape Cod Bay. In setting up my reel (conventional overhead) I plan on using 80# braid. Would it be wise to load it with 1/2 regular braid( say 150-200 yds.) and then add 150 yds of colored braid and then the leader. Or should I forget the colored braid altogether?:confused:

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I would spool it all with colored braid, why have a connection that can fail at some point. Colored braid can be very helpful off Cape Cod when they are marking at a certain depth

3. jfm

jfm Junior member

Okay. You are saying use one straight shot of braid then. Thanks GMAN for the reply.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Okay. You are saying use one straight shot of braid then. Thanks GMAN for the reply.

Yea that's what I would do. It might cost you a little more but there's no conection to fail.

d-a

5. jfm

jfm Junior member

Thanks for that.
    One more quick question...how long should the leader be? I am thinking of 12'-15' of 80# flurocarbon.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that leader length is fine.

while i agree and prefer to fill with solid color coded braid, if money will be an issue then you can just put the top 100yds with that braid and connect it to regular braid as you mentioned. check some of pametfishers posts for good connections, he is king of them :)