setting drag on spinning reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tunatuna, Mar 8, 2009.

1. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

i need help on the right way to setting drags on spinning reel? thanks

2. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

Here are some tutorials on how to set your drag. Basically most of all the manufacturer agree on 1/3 of your line strength. I personally fish with either 65lb or 80lb and have all my reels set to 18lb. Using the scale system JMO

The drag system is easy to work with and should be set to avoid any fish from putting so much pressure on the line that it breaks. Most fishermen rarely know the proper way to set the drag, so you're not alone. THE best way is to get a good scale like a chantillion brass tube scale ( kinda expensive but very accurate for a spring-based scale), put the proper line on your reel based on the rod and reel ratings and run it through the guides. ( Be sure to open the bail first).
    Now with the line through the guides and tip, run about 6 feet out and ensure the bail is closed. Tie a good knot to the scale's hook and have someone hold it for you. Take a few paces away from your friend and the scale and hold the rod at a 45 degree angle. Slowly lift the rod until the spool of the reel begins to spin against the drag. At the moment that the drag begins to move, have your friend tell you the lbs. of pull. You should set the drag to about 25% of the breaking strength of the line...That is the best way.

DRAG SETTINGS: The biggest mistake made by anglers is to have their drag set improperly. Most manufacturers recommend that your drag be set at one-third of your line's test weight. This means that a reel holding 15 pound test line should have the drag set to let out line at 5 pounds of pull.

thanks mad marlin, i was doing exactly the same process as you mentioned above, somehow i had a very weird outcome as following:

With 20KSW on a 52EX, PE6 daiwa boat braid PR connection to 200lb mono. At the end of my mono, i tied my 60lb boga grip. Rod is hold in 45 degree, with 12ft leader out of the rod to a boga.

Even the drag set to be pretty tight and almost in locked down position, my boga only showed about 22-25lb drag (i think the reel was producing more than that). Is it because of the 200 lb. mono leader's stretch and such long leader length so that cause the drag power losing during the transition to my boga?? or there is something wrong with my BNIB 20KSW..

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

thanks mad marlin, i was doing exactly the same process as you mentioned above, somehow i had a very weird outcome as following:

With 20KSW on a 52EX, PE6 daiwa boat braid Page Ranking connection to 200lb mono. At the end of my mono, i tied my 60lb boga grip. Rod is hold in 45 degree, with 12ft leader out of the rod to a boga.

Even the drag set to be pretty tight and almost in locked down position, my boga only showed about 22-25lb drag (i think the reel was producing more than that). Is it because of the 200 lb. mono leader's stretch and such long leader length so that cause the drag power losing during the transition to my boga?? or there is something wrong with my BNIB 20KSW..

The stretch doesn't really matter, as it stretches, it still takes X amount lb of pressure to slip the drag. Have you checked your spool for line slippage? It is possible that your stella is locked down but your braid is slipping on the spool itself, just a thought.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

22-25lbs is plenty for most fish. its more drag than it sounds like, which is somewhat surprising the first time you really scale drags.

5. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I think the point Tunatuna is trying to make though, is that reel is supposed to be able to handle 55 lbs. of drag. Correct me if I am wrong about that Tunatuna. It does have me puzzled as well and I would lean toward Lord's theory on the line slipping on the spool.

6. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

I think the point Tunatuna is trying to make though, is that reel is supposed to be able to handle 55 lbs. of drag. Correct me if I am wrong about that Tunatuna. It does have me puzzled as well and I would lean toward Lord's theory on the line slipping on the spool.

SH is correct on my point, i am very sure is that the line is not slipping off the spool cause the braid line start to digging into the first couple of yards. i am also very confused and tried to figured out the factors that cause the drag power losing in transition:confused: :confused:

7. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Did you hold the spool and try it to make sure your line is not slipping? Curious did you use a backing?

8. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

Did you hold the spool and try it to make sure your line is not slipping? Curious did you use a backing?

yes i use mono backing before i put pe line