Seguar Threadlock Long Term Reviews and Material Question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by obawon, Dec 7, 2017.

1. obawon

obawon New Member

Hi team 360. I have read a lot of threads with positive reviews on threadlock and will probably try some. I do have few questions though.

1. Has anybody tested a sample of threadlock that has been used for a few seasons to see how the strength is holding up?

2. Has there been any definitive answer on what material it's made of?

I am aware of the existing theories on material so am looking for "highly reliable" info. On one hand, if it performs then that should be good enough, however, I really don't understand why Seaguar would not be forthcoming about the material, as a gear geek that's not my cup of tea.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’m still fishing the same 100# I purchased from Basil several years ago that landed a 400# plus Bull shark against 30# plus drag, numerous 40# plus AJs and has been abused by much bigger lost to wrecks and sharks big enough to eat them. Yeah. It’s ok.

As for braid in general. I recently took braid off reels that had been moved from reel to reel and fished hard since 98. It was Power Pro. I did same with Spiderwire I had since 95. Braid lasts. Can’t see TL having a shorter life. Plus I threw the other braid away because it’s junk compared to what I fish today not because it stopped functioning. That crap was so old and abused the coating came off. I actually preferred it that way.

Call Basil. I’m sure he can provide better feedback than most of us.

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

still running the 50# Basil spooled for me 4 years ago after numerous tunas.
    no serious fraying to this pont
    never done any ABS tests, but there are those who have I'm sure.
    my guess is keep it out of the UV & it probably will never degrade.

Snaphappy and Kim like this.
  4. obawon

obawon New Member

Thanks guys...sounds really positive, anybody else want to add in?

5. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

My understanding. UV doesn’t affect braid. It’s inert. Chemicals don’t bother it either. Might affect the coating applied to make it round or colored. Braid is awesome.

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

7. obawon

obawon New Member

Thanks guys, great to hear the positive experiences with threadlock....I have some very old braid too and it just keeps living...I even have some first generation fireline that is still going ( though in storage at the moment).

It seems that nobody knows for sure what material it's made from, but all reviews are solid across the board so game on.

Tight lines!

8. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Have they developed something other than Spectra or Dyneema? Those two be my guess. I recall Dyneema being stronger of same thickness.