360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using spinning reel setups with 100 Lb. braid for casting topwater lures on party boats at night:

My son puts priority on casting ability (whip action), so prefers lighter pole

I put my 1st priority on highest rated line weight, Xtra Heavy stout stiff pole, all pole choices 7 to 7.5 ft. My thought is don't want to break pole if catch large tuna.

My son says no worries on lighter pole, bring fish to side of boat where the deck hands will gaff fish. His main concern is need maximum casting distance.

Who is right ? Looking at Okuma PCHP-S-761 lineup trying to decide what line rating pole for this job.

·
Super Moderator
6,289 Posts
Welcome to 360Tuna!
There is no 1 perfect answer. It changes from 1 scenario to another, as well as 1 angler to another. If you are successfully
landing tuna without breaking rods or your body, you're probably gonna be ok with what you're doing.
Poles are for flying flags, Rods are for catching fish :)
Never seen a Fuji graphite seat break under stress (30# drag or less) aluminum just makes the rod heavier and may upset the balance, depending on what reel you're using on it.
Depending on casting technique used, a stiffer rod will throw farther, a "whippy rod" just throws lighter lures farther, which may benefit you depending on what the tunas are keyed in on. A lighter action rod will wear out an angler faster during casting and can prove to be a chore when the fight goes vertical or close to the boat.
There are lots of east coast and GOM favorites the Race Point 200 by Saltywater Tackle is an EXCELLENT all-rounder,
as is the Black hole magic-eye series, Smith GTK series, Some guys are fishing that Okuma model with great success.
A couple of these rods are at either end of the rod-action spectrum.
I don't know where you're fishing but it sounds like it might be the pacific coast, where spin fishing for tunas is pretty much still new to most experienced west coast tuna anglers.
As you see there are LOTS of variables to factor when picking a new rod for a specific type of fishing.
I hope this helps in your choices.
Enjoy your stay at 360tuna, a lot to be learned here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome reply.

Fishing out of Texas on party boats at Perdido rig, etc, 30 Hr to 50+ hour trips, 150 to 200 miles out, port side of boat is jigging only with most all anglers bunched up there since the current is going away from port side and we drift out chunk bait for YF also, and bow of the boat is 7 or 9 guys with spinning reels casting topwater lures (also starboard side but nobody there since not as much space to cast).

Night time is when all of the action occurs.

catching a slew of smaller blackfin tuna and about 18 to 30+ YF tuna, 38 guys with rods (too many)

·
2,163 Posts
The thing about fishing top water lures at busting YFT is that the optimum cast would be to the far side of the action, next best middle of action, least best the close side of the action and worst would be about halfway to the action. The distance of the cast is important as well as accuracy, a longer distance means more time being worked through the strike zone.
The lure rating of the rod gives the weight range of lures but that don't mean that they will all cast equally well. Each rod has a "sweet spot" for lure casting weight which is affected by the aerodynamics of the lure itself and the drag of the line. The vertical fight is made easier or harder by the choice of rod, the "lighter" the rod usually means less lifting power or backbone. Less lifting power will basically give the fish a chance to "catch it's breath" and prolong the fight. Once you have your set ups rigged it would be a good idea to test different weights and types of lures to find your rods "sweet spot" , this practice will enable you to know the capabilities of your set ups and to accurately cast to a chosen spot. Also keep in mind that this is the kind of thing that you may end up pouring money into like a fishing addict because you "need" a specific set ups for various classes of fish in stick bait and popper.

·
Super Moderator
6,289 Posts
Ok so you're in my backyard.
At Perdido and other rigs while night fishing distance casting Is not as important as say, daytime casting to rising bluefins at cape cod.
Honestly, the best cast lands the lure just beyond the lights of the boat, and this gets more important as you drift off the rig and take the tunas with you. All the techniques can work at any time or all the time. If you fish here you know the effectiveness of the Halco 130 in finding fish. thats what I start with and I use a rod that loads well on the cast and has enough backbone to lift the fish on the vertical.
Obviously you watch the bite progress thru the night and let that dictate your next move if you feel you need to change.
then you might want to run a popper which requires a rod with a stiffer tip to create the right action rather than a cast and crank lure like the Halco. in general the fighting power pretty much remains the same, the difference is in the tip action working the lure. Stickbaits you want a lighter tip action, swimbaits like the Halco dont care, its cast n reel.
I have 3 spinners I take that fit all those specialties. If you're not there yet, that's OK too, casting ability is key, and lure selection can be pretty big too. just watch the bite and choose rigs accordingly.
YES, there is an expense in multiple rigs, but this is TUNA FISHING, its not for pussies. You pay a lot of $$ to do this sport, you need to succeed eventually to justify the expense, not to mention YOU NEED THAT RUSH!!
well, I do anyway.
tight lines!

·
Super Moderator
6,289 Posts
get on private charters. down here in port A we usually limit to 25 (ish) anglers
we have a good group and were going out on the Scat Cat Nov. 5th
watch for the report and join us next year!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
get on private charters. down here in port A we usually limit to 25 (ish) anglers
we have a good group and were going out on the Scat Cat Nov. 5th
watch for the report and join us next year!
Definitely need that rush. Yes, I did the ScatCat 56 hour tuna trip like 7 years ago, everyone limited out, was a life time bucket trip. Is it true that Late November and December are the best months for Tuna fishing in Gulf ? I heard Fisherman's Wharf sold out to new owners who are charging much more $$$ . . . .

I did the New Buccaneer twice this spring, got a YF each time - - their captains insist that warm weather / warm water are the best for tuna in the Gulf ?

Sure appreciate your insights.

·
Registered
97 Posts
for casting on 50-80# fish (mostly yellows) i’ve been using an oti ts2 8’ w/ a gossa 10k for a couple seasons. affordable and its been really great for that. if you wanted to spend kore you can go twin power or stella - but the rod is great - esp for trips cuz its a two piece…:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts