Seeker XXXH

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by barbwire, Oct 9, 2008.

1. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

I have one of these and need some suggestions on a reel for it. I have it narrowed down to a Penn 50vsx, I think. I have also been eyeballing Avet pro 30 and 50. Too many choices and I can't hold any of these to see which one i like best. I have also thought about a Tiagra as I have always had good service from Shimano's freshwater stuff. The only decision I have made is indecision. Opinions please. Thanks

2. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I have a 6463XXXH and have an Avet EXW 4/02 mounted on it...

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i have 2 and have avet 50 sds on both. i use them for amberjack fishing and trolling for tuna and marlin. the rods were acid wrapped and have all american roller guides. one has a short bent butt and is also great for hauling in cow tuna on stand up gear. good blanks for applying lots of drag on big fish....rick

4. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I have one of these and need some suggestions on a reel for it. I have it narrowed down to a Penn 50vsx, I think. I have also been eyeballing Avet pro 30 and 50. Too many choices and I can't hold any of these to see which one i like best. I have also thought about a Tiagra as I have always had good service from Shimano's freshwater stuff. The only decision I have made is indecision. Opinions please. Thanks

If you don't have you heart set on topless reel, I see gently used Tiagra 30 LRS and 50LRS sell on ebay for the $300 - $400 all the time. They are heavier than the Penn or Avets but have a proven track record.

km

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i have 2 and have avet 50 sds on both. i use them for amberjack fishing and trolling for tuna and marlin. the rods were acid wrapped and have all american roller guides. one has a short bent butt and is also great for hauling in cow tuna on stand up gear. good blanks for applying lots of drag on big fish....rick

You have acid wrapped roller guides? :confused:
    Pictures?

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Pictures?

Here's some pictures of Scott Throop's (inventor of the tiger wrap) rods on Allcoast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can read more about the acid rollers on Allcoast rodbuilding or All American's site.

7. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Believe it or not I am building one using the Super Seeker CJBF6463XXXH blank to use with the new Accurate 50 spinner and my Thunder down under rail rod device. I am using the under rod Acid roller tip, # 14, from All American Roller Guides which is perfect for this stick, 6 Fuji Sic guides and of course my Thunder Down Under rail rod device. They stick is being built now as we speak and should be off the hooks for fishing my spinner at 30 - 35 pounds of drag or more should I be able to hang on. I love the characteristics of this blank for fishing big fish with any sort of reel capable of achieving proper drag pressures.

The choice of reel is strictly personal preferance as this stick is design for large amount of drag say over 26 - 28 pounds at the reel. The bend pattern is fantastic for either spinners or conventionals and the recoil of the Super Seeker Material is off the hook.( I assume your are referring to the SS6463XXXH) but all the Seekers are great rods and have been used here on the west coast for years.

Best of luck in your choice of reels. As a note I would use mine with an Accurate Platinum 30 or 50 for Cow sized fish, Accurate Boss two speed 30 or 50 for slightly smaller tuna and then the 30 pro from Avet because I love 30 sized reels for almost anything that swims and then the 50 SDS by Avet.
    But any of the reels you mentioned will fish well on that rod.

I disagree on the Avet 4/0 as that reel just does not have the proper drag capacity to bend this rod correctly especially on a screaming run with 30 pounds of drag. JMHO

Jamie

8. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Thats wild about that acid wrap roller rod. I really don't have a preferance for topless or not,just looking for a good reel that will last and is not too hard to maintain. Thanks for the headsup on the LRS. Would this rod be better suited with a 30 or 50 size reel or is it just a personal preferance? It is a sc659 5.75' all roller. My first all roller rod and it looks like a giant killer!

9. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Since this is my first rod that uses rollers is there anything special I need to know about maintenance of this rod and it's rollers? BTW looks like I will be getting an Avet 50 SDS for this rod before too long. Which color of anodizing is the most durable? Any differance at all between colors? Thanks a bunch

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

does that rod that he built relaly not have a gimbal...or is that just a cap?

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

does that rod that he built relaly not have a gimbal...or is that just a cap?
    no gimbal..you dont neeed a gimbal withthe acid..bret did ever see my acid wrap video?

here is one i just did with rings and roller tip, and the guy wanted a gimbal

Attached Files:

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

if you are standing up with it..i would get the lightest reel that hold enough line for you
    most of the reels are good quality,
    the Tiagra handles are nice

13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Pictures?
    SPIN rod for popping and jigging...acid rollers:D

Attached Files:

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

while I agree it isn't necessary....I just normally think having a gimbal can't hurt. If you leave the cap on then no harm done. The only issue I see is weight, I wouldn't notice such a small increase.

15. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I think it's rail rod so no gimbals is needed, they will seat on the rod while fighting big fish. bicycle seat might be more comfortable than just plain rod blank:D