Seeker Hercules Jigging Rods wrapped

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Billy 40, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

I did these 2 rods for the racks in Trophy Tackle in Long Island, NY. The Blue one is a 60Heavy, the white & Burgandy one is a 70 Heavy. The 6' has EVA grips & a DPSM seat & MNSG guides, while the 7'er has an EVA butt and Hypalon foregrip, also with a DPSM seat, and HNSG guides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

THis is a 70H which I extended to 7'6, and built it for the Gold jig guy in SHB, Spencer. HE's been using it locally for jigging Bluefish, and will take it out Tuna jigging soon enough, followed by Cod jigging. IT's really scary how far he's able to underhand cast from a Party Boat with a 6oz jig.

[​IMG]

3. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Billy the thread work is outstanding!

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

billy those rods look awesome - extremely nice work!!!! :)

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Those look great!

6. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Jeesum, nice work man, I know what you have into those. I built commercially for a number of years when I was younger. Great color combo's. I remember that being one of the harder parts of rod building, picking out colors that didn't look like everyone elses,and still look sharp. How many black and gold/silver rods can you build? lol.

7. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Color Choices are pretty easy. I don't let my customers pick colors, I just ask them what they like, and if they want something outlandish, bright, conservative etc - andtalk to them and try to interview them to get a feel for what they might like. I have a decent eye for color, and usually end up making the rod exactly the way they wanted it, here's some more examples of recent stuff:

This guy wanted something classy, but that would be a little different
    [​IMG]

Henry wanted his rod really bright, so all teh guides were wrapped in Neon orange, and here's the wrap:
    [​IMG]

Eric wanted something that would stand out, be really bright, and look psychadelic:
    [​IMG]

These 3 wraps were all put on Seeker Inshore Lites and have been used for Fluke, Sea Bass, and Porgies all summer.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Billy Ive never had a conversation with you although I have followed your work and posts for years on noreast. You do amazing work bro, just wanted to give you props

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That last wrap is awesome!! For some reason, it reminds me of the Grateful Dead.

10. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

G, Bret, Crazy - thank you.

Scott, one of The NERBs is a really big GD fan, he said the same thing when he saw it. The GReen & Pink threads are Madeira neon, and tehy really jump off the rod.

11. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Tuna season is gearing up billy hopefully it will be a good chunking/jigging year.

I think I am going to build my 7'4" H at full length as a spinner to try and get a tuna on topwater. If I do I think I'm gonna get a saltist to match it up with.

12. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

THe one I did as a Spinner came out really nice, only problem is that it hasn't been fished yet so I haven't said anything. I was shocked how light a lure it casted, and how far. I would like to har how the guy likes it compared to other popping rods he has before I make any "official" statement though.

I hope it will be a good something year, so far almost everythign has sucked locally.

13. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Billy- Nice work (as always)

14. firefisher

firefisher Junior member

Billy,

Beautiful work. I like the blue 60H. I'll have to go down to trophy and check it out. How do you think it compares to the Japanese rods?

15. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

It's different than the japanese rods! Different feel and action to it, but stronger than hell! It feels stiffer, but still flexes nicely. I did up a 60H as a spinner and with an 8000 Stradic, 80# sufix braid and 3 oz lead sinker, I was hitting around 90 yds. I finally put the Saragosa 18000 with 80# daiwa metered on it and a River2Sea tuna popper. I was getting around 45+ yds casting from the boat. There was a TON of line slap on the stripper guide as I set it up for jigging, not casting. It was also hard to cast because of the other lines out on the boat and lines off the riggers. One of the other guys had a 7' Hopper for casting on board and was getting maybe 10-15 yds farther than I was.

I got to play with some of Kilsongs JM's at the Canyon Runner Seminar before I had the Hercules. The 500gr JM are nice and stiff at the tip, the Hercules is a little lighter in the tip, depending on how it's trimmed. My 60H handled 500 gr jigs for cod w/o a problem, plenty of power to set the hook/snag the cod when trimmed to 6' from the tip.

The action feels different. When fighting a fish, you get a nice bend in the rod. The rod bends more and more with larger fish, but you don't feel maxed out on it. It fights a 10# cod just as nicely as a 20# cod, good rod action for both. With larger tuna, I think you will get more of the rods strength and backbone into the fight as the rod flexes more down the blank. The tip is soft enough to keep pressure on the fish and make them work but has plenty of backbone to it!

16. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

FF - almost all of the Japanese rods I've seen and bent, have a straight parabolic/mod/slow action that bend into teh foregrip or reel seat. THat is NOT how this blank was designed, there are already enough high quality blanks made in that fashion. WHen you work a jig, you work it with teh upper part of teh blank, which makes it a better option for yo-yo jigging (up and down), than it does for speed jigging ripping the rod up and down. When a fish is on, the rod does bend further down the blank, right to the foregrip then it pretty much shuts off there. See teh pics below. One pic I do not have is the rod with a 100# Jewfish and 32#'s of drag, but that is what a guy caught with a 60H, and he claimed the rod didn't flinh or feel maxed out, even with that much drag (I rated these to max 25#'s of drag). I got a call late last night that the same guy caught a 200# class Jewfish, but again no pics because he doesn't handle the fish.

I personally think too many people are hellbent on the weight of teh blank (within reason), but I am pretty sure that this blank is lighter (5.2oz) than other 6' composite blanks in the same power category. ERgardless, the blank is light enough, depending on the grip materials and how you set them up, you could really have an extremely powerful lightweight set up. THe ones in Trophy are set up like a"normal" rod, with full EVA grips, and normal thickness (about 1 1/4OD fore, 1 1/8" rear). IF you want something different, split grips, X FLock, different seat, spiral, etc - just let John TFT know and it can easily be done as I'm building them for him all the time.

Taz has given accurate info on the characteristics of the 60H. Kil has posted in a couple of places that the blanks have a faster action than Japanese jigging blank, but that there were a lot of people who wanted a rod with that action, and this is it. Made by a top Manufacturer who stands behind thier product, and you have a winning combo.

HEre are a few photos of the rod with fish on them (30-35# AJ's), so you can get an idea of the action and power of the rod:

Attached Files:

17. firefisher

firefisher Junior member

Billy,

I just come back from Trophy Tackle and was show your rods by John Jr.
    Wow, what craftsmanship. The blue 60Heavy acid wrap is sick. The stick has a nice feel to it. Light weight, well balanced and from what I could tell from the way it bends, very strong.

18. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Fire, thanks. The Blue spiral with the Sparkler wrap I thought came out pretty nice, especially with pattern going underneath the first guide wrap. Pictures always suck really bad compared to how these rods look in person. If you go and look at the first post in this thread you'll see that sucky photo of the wrap, which in real life in teh sunlight takes on another dimension. Glad you liked how the rod looked, and the way it bends and the power - well, it's not like the other Japanese rods, but for those who are not looking for that slow/mod/parabolic action, it's a perfect rod for them.

I spoke to John about the photos, and he corrected me in that the rod bent over was not on teh AJ, but on teh Jewfish, and in that photo there is 32#'s of drag on the rod.

19. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I just built & sold my second XL 6' jigging rod..He cant get over how thin & powerfull it is...........

I just fished the seeker 7' XLH inshore in the fl keys..Its one powerful rod caught mahi,blackfin tuna , skipjacks,shark ,snapper & baraccuda..The only fish that challenged it way the shark in the 200lb range..
    For you guys the fish big yellowtail & halibut or Big kings & cobia in the Gulf this is the blank........

20. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Really, really nice work Billy!