Seeker Extreme series EX6460XXH lift test

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by mike garone, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Built myself a Seeker extreme EX 6460XXH for PB tuna/swords here in NJ, unfortunately I didnt get too hook up with anything on this rod, so I decided to do some lift tests to put a little bend in it. I use the rail so thats how I did the lift test. Rod is paired up with an Avet 50W

This lift is with 37.5lbs, was going to try 45 but I felt uncomfortable pushing it that far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

where in NJ do you live? Nice rod, what boat do you go on Jamaica? dumbell say 45 BTW

3. mike garone

I live in Trenton. The I took one of the 7.5# plates off of the dumbell. I usually go on either the Sea Devil or the Gambler out of Pt. Pleasant.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

both are very good boats

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i like those EX blanks, i have alot of those exact same ones , they are really good for PB fishing out here. great choice you made

6. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

This looks like a Mr. Bill post.....are you related to him? :D

Nice fishing rig !! I need to get an Avet 50....T-Rex?

7. gman

gman Senior Member

I cant use the rail, I like fighting stand up. Using the rail is very popular out on the west coast as well

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Paul ...cant wait to get Anthonys rod

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This looks like a Mr. Bill post.....are you related to him? :?

No relation, but it's nice to see another guy put his rod to the test. I still say, that you need to lift some iron to find out what the rod can take. Besides, it's tradition for me.

I just got two more custom OTI rods in the mail today from Txseadog. A 50# 2-pc spinning and a 5'6" conventional jigging. Once again a wonderful job.

A report with lift pictures will be done before X-mas. Hopefully this time some real life tuna lifting photo's.

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Mr. Bill.....

Do you test every new rod that you buy prior to going on a fishing trip?

I am curious...it makes sense to test a new rod with weights before using it on a fishing trip so that you don't get surprised with a SNAP while fishing a great fighting fish. The weight test on a new rod doesn't necessarily guarantee that you won't snap a rod while fighting a fish....but...it seems that it would give you a bit of confidence in the performance of the rod on it's inaugural fishing trip.

11. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Ive got a 6463XXH mounted to my Avet EXw4/02 and a Dr. that I work with that builds rods handed it to me off of his boat while cleaning up and couldnt believe the stiffness/action of the rod for being so light...

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr. Bill.....

Do you test every new rod that you buy prior to going on a fishing trip?

YES

You never know when you are going to get a bad one. I start with a light load and keep adding three to four pounds until I feel the rod is stressing. Then I write down how much drag I can safely use on the rod.

The most weight I ever put on a stick was 65 pounds. (Super Seeker CTSF55XXXH) Now, I have been on a boat where I believe I had that stick to 75 pounds as I was pushing down hard with both my thumbs to get more pressure. It was a bet on bringing a marlin to the boat in a specified time.

The loudest snap I have ever seen was on a Ian Miller Cairns 130 with a bent butt. Sadly, that 2300.00 rod was wasted on a sea anchor. The guy that owned the rod was bored and stopped to have some fun as it was a slow day. I believe that rod was designed to take 100 pounds of drag.

Now that it's been a while, I'll admit it was me who broke the rod. I was the last one in the rotation. It was all done while standing up with the boat in neutral.:eek:

13. mike garone

This looks like a Mr. Bill post.....are you related to him? :D

Nice fishing rig !! I need to get an Avet 50....T-Rex?

Nope no relation. Ive got the Pro EXW 50/2 I dont fish very heavy drag settings so the T-Rex is overkill for me and my wallet

14. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Hi Mike. Just curious, what's your reasoning behind cork rather than EVA/Hypalon for the grips? How well do they hold up to the rail?

BTW, do you post on SOL?

15. mike garone

Hi Mike. Just curious, what's your reasoning behind cork rather than EVA/Hypalon for the grips? How well do they hold up to the rail?

BTW, do you post on SOL?

I like to feel and look of cork, it holds up pretty well. Yes I do post on Sol you bout the surf blank from me right?

16. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

thats a really nice rod with a nice reel too, after my latest trip i want setup like that, next trip next year im not getting spooled or broke off by anything! minues the whole 75lb of drag thing maybe like 30?

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Atlantaking,
    Cork is more comfortable over the long haul for gripping than something fat and soft.

18. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

I like the look, feel, and weight of cork, but I wonder how durable it will be on a rod used on the rail. Hmm...winter project...:D

Mike, I did buy that blank from you. Ironically, a week after I got it, another buddy of mine really wanted it, so I sold it to him :p Hey, you whip any tuna on the Seeker yet?

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Is that an Avet 50-wide?

20. mike garone

I like the look, feel, and weight of cork, but I wonder how durable it will be on a rod used on the rail. Hmm...winter project...:D

Mike, I did buy that blank from you. Ironically, a week after I got it, another buddy of mine really wanted it, so I sold it to him :p Hey, you whip any tuna on the Seeker yet?

No tuna whipped yet, took it on the last trip of the season and got the skunk. I didnt even wet my line with this one, used my lighter rod and 30w. There is always next year!