Secret Popper build exposed: 8 foot GUSA Wahoo

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Bellyups, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

OK, it is done and ready to fish on the July 3rd trip. 50-80 pound blank. Alps radial gimbal, Alps size 22 aluminum reelseat, Fuji IC MNSG SiC guides and top sizes 40-30-25-20-16-12-12 with a size 12 top. Threads are Gudebrod dark blue nylon for the overwraps with metallic silver, gold and blue steel for underwraps, bands, etc. Foregrip is hypalon and reargrip is split EVA. Grips are patterned after the OTI 7 1/2 foot rods as I found their ergonomics were perfect for me and looked great. I am pleased as this is my second build.

It will be matched to a stella 20000 FA seen in the pics.:)

I must thank Billy 40 and STxFisherman for their help, tips, and ideas while building this rod.

Attached Files:

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Looking real good Scott

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Nice wrap color.
    Scott, do you have closer picture for grip pattern ?

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Nice wrap color.
    Scott, do you have closer picture for grip pattern ?

Freddy, I will take more pics tomorrow outside. The wrap between the grips is pretty simple--Steel Blue metallic with 2 trim bands on each side, 5 wraps of the dark blue nylon and 10 wraps of metallic silver.

By the way, thanks for your tips too!

The stella is an interesting reel. In the sun, it matches the dark blue nylon guide wraps. Indoors, the stella matches the metallic blue thread.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Scott: How much drag do you think you could safely pull with that blank? I will be bringing an 8 foot Smith (80P/35) that I think I am going to limit to 20 pounds, and a 9 foot Souls XXH that I'll probably keep around 22-23--assuming that won't beat me to death.

Russ

6. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Scott: How much drag do you think you could safely pull with that blank? I will be bringing an 8 foot Smith (80P/35) that I think I am going to limit to 20 pounds, and a 9 foot Souls XXH that I'll probably keep around 22-23--assuming that won't beat me to death.

Russ

UR, I will check it out this weekend to make sure the epoxy has plenty of time to cure. My jigging Wahoo, which I cut to 7 and 1/2 feet, will load pretty full at about 25 pounds. This will likely bottom a little later as there are 6 extra inches of backbone on the 8 footer.

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Looks real nice Scott,
    I hope you get to give it a good work out in july

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Nice. I can't wait to see it in person.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Crazyjigr and Txseadog. You 2 were helpful as well!

Kevin, I'll see ya in 2 weeks on the Big E. Do you have any new builds?

Jim, weather permitting, this rod should see YFT action several times in July. We need to fish Louisianna again. Let me know when you want to go!

11. thunnus

thunnus Guest

Bellyups, wud you please share to us, how many grams the total weight of the finished rod ?

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Bellyups, wud you please share to us, how many grams the total weight of the finished rod ?

I need to fugure a way to weigh it. It is a light rod. The blank is 7.8 ounces. The hypalon added the most weight.

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Scott, that looks sweet!! I hope you catch a good one on it.. !!!

14. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Great looking rod, Scott. It matches the Stella reel perfectly.
    Now....a pic of you with a 275 lb. YFT off of the Big E on the July 3rd-6th trip would be awesome. (a pic of a 175 lb. YFT with your new rod would be okay too...:D)

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

very nice job, hope you kill some tuna with it.

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice rod
    i like the colors
    i did one as a spin rod but didnt think about using as a popping rod
    i hope to see a good report when you get to use it

17. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

To date my next GOM visit will be the big-e in sept and nov, until then lake erie,willmington,broklyn,islamorada and my local lake visits will have to do.
    I'm definetly going to LA this fall, winter and spring let's put something together soon.
    Good luck on the july trip. I wonder if anyone taking fireworks.