Seaworm Damage and Repairs

Discussion in 'Suggestions & feedback' started by shorething, Jul 14, 2020.

1. shorething

shorething New Member

Hello all,

I'm looking at heading south to possibly pick up an old sportfishing boat in south Florida. Turns out is has some extensive seaworm damage to the hull. Anyone have any idea on the cost to fix and repair something like that. Time it takes to repair?

I haven't encountered this before.

47ft Sportfisher
    glass over wood (except for on bottom)

Thanks!

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

3. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

How much are they paying you to take it?

Going to cost them money to cutup and
    put in a dumpster(s).
    Cheaper to give it away for free.
    Or find an uneducated consumer who thinks
    they are getting a deal on a big boat for little dollars.

RUN far away.

Going to cost you more than your car is worth
    to fix the boat to make it seaworthy.

Or, don't listen,
    and go get yourself a nice 47' planter box for flowers.

4. shorething

shorething New Member

Unfortunately no pics yet of the damage, so I don't know how extensive the damage is.

5. shorething

shorething New Member

That is in line with what I was thinking. A project car/truck is one thing... I wasn't looking for a project boat. I just haven't came across seaworm damage in the past.

Thanks!

6. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

This is a classic "how long is a piece of string" issue.
    Pics are critical in determining;-
    1. whether the project is viable
    2. hull type is important ( ie ply , timber plank, single diagonal timber, double diagonal timber etc ) .
    3. its not necessarily a dumpster job........ just need good info on the extent & nature of the damage
    4. poking 1/16" soft bailing wire ( tie wire ) up the holes gives a good idea of extent of damage you cannot see externally.

toredo worm can do huge amounts of damage over extensive areas or can be quite focussed on their attack. They typically start at less than 1mm dia & will grow to chew 12mm diameter holes , they enter almost anywhere , but then typically chew along the wood grain...........or along plies in plywood.
    I have repaired keel & Garboard plank damage , significant area damage on the outer & inner planks of a Douglas Fir double diagonal hull............not particularly hard work............just time consuming.

If you don't love the boat & are prepared to commit the necessary time to the project .........give it a miss.

if you want advice on the possibilities post up a heap of pics & the info listed above.
    FWIW

vgb, north coast and Stevo like this.
  7. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Agree with most of above .

RUN!

There are plenty of boats*in the sea.

Wood, on boats, generally has a life expectancy of around 30 - 35 years.
    (In many cases less)
    After that it’s a crapshoot, depending on myriad factors. Climate, type of wood, below or above the water line,
    Length of life actually in water.
    Maintenance and on and on and on.

As a rule, old boats are usually not worth the enormous effort and expense they require to bring them to where you will be happy.

Of course There are exceptions.
    If you happen to love this type of work or if you happen to love a particular boat, for a particular reason, it may be worth it to you.

Being around boats my whole life, I’m of the mindset that none of them are worth it. Buy something fairly new, relatively free of the need to restore things and go enjoy the water.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    JohnnyMax likes this.
  8. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member

This is the wrong place to ask that question. The focus of this site is catching big fish and bloody decks!
    You need to ask that question in a boat restore and repair forum. LOL
    Just saying... ;)
    I was going to restore a boat and everyone here said "Burn it!"
    So. I bought a boat ready to fish and I am thankful for their push!
    Now if you already have a boat to fish in, I recommend you getting and restoring the boat, if your purpose is to enjoy the fact that you are using your abilities to save an old boat. But the process of working on a boat needs to be your purpose and desire. My 2 cents....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  9. Kim

Kim Senior Member

My experience in the boating world concerning wooden hull boats boiled it all down to two personal requirements the owner had to have, one was a lot of time to spare and the second was a lot of money.

JohnnyMax likes this.