season just around the corner...

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey guys, just a few days until dove season opens.. is anyone seeing many birds? The rains we have had up here in DFW area have really stirred up the dove.
    We went and checked the game cam the other day and here are a few pics.
    nothing special, but fun to look at.

Archery season opens Sept 27th.. so start practicing with your bows...:D

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I like those game cams. That's really nice the way it shows the temperature, time and date.

As far as birds flying, I pulled out the shotguns this past week. I met a couple of guys the other evening and we blasted some clay birds. We were south of San Antonio, and the whitewings were everywhere. It's actually rained 5 inches here in the last four days. That's good for the yard but not good for bird hunting. I hear it's a hit or miss thing right now. The rain has messed things up.

Day hunting on a good place the opening day has gone nuts. Last year I paid $125 for a single afternoon. This year, the same place is charging $200. I think I might pull out my pellet gun and just sit in my back yard. I could pop over my limit every evening in twenty minutes. The whitewing population in Bexar County (San Antonio) is year round. They don't migrate any more as everybody feeds them. They are thick year round. It is estimated that over a million whitewings reside in Bexar County year round.

I had to stop feeding them in my back yard because it was costing to much. Sunflower seeds have gotten expensive. I was spending over a hundred a month on seeds. It's also a PITA to maintain the feeders.

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

thats alot of bucks? re you breeding them?;)

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

thats alot of bucks? re you breeding them?;)

only when I can catch em:eek:

No, we are hunting on a small 44 acre place nw of DFW area.. We do have a lot of bucks coming to feeders this year.. We need to thin out some pigs and raccoons..

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Very cool pics Bret. Those bucks look pretty nice. I guess I need to get my butt in gear and get the cams going again.

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

more piggy pics:D

Attached Files: