360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it would be a smart move on using 300 yds. each on two reels? Thinking about a couple hundred yards first of something like J-Braid #65, then with a double uni-knot, finish it off with 300yds of the Threadlock hollow #50? The two reels are a Diawa BG 65, and a Fin-nor Lethal 100. Thanks...

·
348 Posts
I'd stay with the J-Braid #65
Threadlock Hollow 50# is not much diameter to work with

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why would you use hollow if you aren't going to fill the entire spool or splice? I cut off the top section off my reels and splice in new braid from time to time. Don't use the bottom often... but when i do want it to be the good stuff =)

·
2,140 Posts
I have wondered what your reasons for wanting solid braid with a HC top shot. I use it because it has a much higher than rated ABS, thin diameter so you can pack it on a reel, not too hard to work with, it has good abrasion resistance and I'm a L/L leader guy. I use HC braid on my set ups intended for YFT stick/pop and trolling set ups here in the GOM. My bottom, deep drop, jigging, and spin set ups for offshore I have gone back to solid braid because it works and cost way less than the HC. I like J Braid 8X as my go to solid braid, #30 has an ABS around #50 or so with a diameter of .28 mm, the BD 65 would hold around 650 yards. The Threadlock HC #50 ABS around #80 with diameter of .37 mm the BD 65 would hold around 450 yards of that. You might want to search out some of the older posts that discuss the pro/con of various braids to help narrow down your search and gain some insight on the various brands and why people use them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, thanks matawest and Kim. I guess I was only thinking about the amount of line coming off the reel when casting (Halco 130's), and just trying to gain distance by using the smaller diameter such as the Threadlock #50. I have been using the P.P. Maxcuatro #65, which is the diameter of #50 regular Power Pro on my conventional, and had great results with it. I do like using J Braid 8X for jigging, but haven't tried casting it. Btw, any comments on the J Braid 8X Grand braid? Is it better than the regular J Braid? Thanks all and Happy Labor Day!

·
2,140 Posts
The regular J Braid is four strand and it feels coarse to the touch while the 8X braid is eight strand, rounder, smoother and more abrasion resistant than the 4X.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 8X Grand is more abrasion resistant than the 8X.
Okay, so I ditched the idea of buying the 600yd spool of Threadlock #50, and putting it on two reels with all of the advice about splicing and such...So, I got two 300yd spools of BG 8X Grand Grey Light #65 to put on my two reels, starting on the bare spool with a 100yds or so of regular BG 8X #65, then will use a double uni-knot to add the 8X Grand to top it off. I'll see how that works out, thanks!

·
2,140 Posts
Okay, so I ditched the idea of buying the 600yd spool of Threadlock #50, and putting it on two reels with all of the advice about splicing and such...So, I got two 300yd spools of BG 8X Grand Grey Light #65 to put on my two reels, starting on the bare spool with a 100yds or so of regular BG 8X #65, then will use a double uni-knot to add the 8X Grand to top it off. I'll see how that works out, thanks!
What is your reason for splicing two different lines? With the two braids you mention the cost difference isn't that much to just roll with the 8X Grand and not have a knot splice which will be the weakest link in your mainline.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is your reason for splicing two different lines? With the two braids you mention the cost difference isn't that much to just roll with the 8X Grand and not have a knot splice which will be the weakest link in your mainline.
I could only find the J-Braid Grand in 300yd spools. Both of my reels hold well over 300yds of line each.

·
2,140 Posts
I could only find the J-Braid Grand in 300yd spools. Both of my reels hold well over 300yds of line each.
Try splicing the solid braid with a section of HC, then no knots and a stronger connection IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts