Seadrift/POC

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by bighead, Dec 19, 2006.

1. bighead

bighead Senior Member

To feed my never ending daydream of moving to the coast I'm going to visit POC and Seadrift after Christmas. Looks to be a fishermans dream with bays all around, deep water access, and deep water closer than Surfside. Can anybody share their thoughts on this part of the coast? Also, I'll need a place to stay for a night or two. Any recommendations? Thanks, Bert

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Give me a ring this evening. I know a bit. (817) 714-2886. I bet bret could help too. He grew up close to there.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

As to cheap, decent, but not elaborate accommodations, try Captain's Quarters in both S.D. and POC:

http://www.captainsquartershotel.com/

If you fish the jetties and run into any big jackfish, tell them Uncle Russ is returning for revenge soon with a Smith rod, a Stella 20,000 and 130 pound Spectra. :)

Russ

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

If you fish the jetties and run into any big jackfish, tell them Uncle Russ is returning for revenge soon with a Smith rod, a Stella 20,000 and 130 pound Spectra. :)

Russ

i am guessing you got spooled on that blistering first run.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jared: You have no idea how many times.--starting in the early 'fifties. As I recall through the mists of time, you could pretty much catch jacks at will. We would camp out at the Port Aransas South Jetty (in those days, the concrete walkways were smooth and had no cracks!) I had a little solid steel casting rod, if you can believe that, with a green Bronson level-wind that held maybe 100 yards of braided line of unknown vintage and unknown strength. My grandfather and his cronies thought it was great fun to put a live mullet on an unweighted hook and let it out into the current then watch and laugh their asses off while I tried to hold on. Almost always, when he hit the end of the spool, the hook bent straight out.

I don't believe that reel had as much drag as, oh, let's just say for example, a Twin Drag 130. But it wouldn't have mattered, because I didn't know what drag was anyway. As I look back, it's a miracle that the level wind didn't melt down, but then again, when I pitched the reel in the mid-sixties, it didn't work too well. Come to think of it, I couldn't swear that I was even dealing with jack fish, for that matter. I don't think I ever actually was able to identify what was on the other end. Back in those days there were 12 pound croaker and 40 pound specks out there. :)

On a more serious note, I have no way to prove it, but I'm almost certain that I have seen numerous bull reds that would have exceeded the current state record.

But now one of my favorite pasttimes is catch-and-release on the jetties, and I have used tackle light enough to be victimized frequently when the current is strong. But now, with Randy's help, I am equipping myself for putting a hurt on those suckers with tuna tackle. I remind myself a little of Bill Murray going after the gopher with dynamite in Caddy Shack. :)

Russ

6. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Nice bro,
    i like fishing from the jetties when the fishing is on, it is hard for me not to want to go deeper however.
    Jacks are a blast to catch untill you have to take em off the hook and you get slimed by love juice.lol

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Then this will really make you sick, Jared: My great-grandmother, who was born in 1884, used to cook them, (along with huge old black drum, carp, and anything else that swam or crawled) in a giant pressure-cooker. Don't remember whether I ever ate one, but I'm still here. It makes me smile a little when the great folks on this board are nice enough to pass on to me the finer points of sushi-grade tuna processing. If they ever saw some of the stuff we ate when I was a kid, they probably wouldn't bother. :)

Russ