SeaDog Custom OTI 400gram x2 Jigging Rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by gmack, Apr 13, 2009.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

TJ was gracious enough to allow me a new 400 gram blank. At first I was going to try and build it myself. After some time passed I decided to have it built. My current setups are all conventional. I've been wanting to try spinning so this gave me a perfect opportunity. I acquired a Stella 8000fa and contracted Kevin of SeaDog rods to build it for me. Kevin did a great job. It's a work of art! I really like the grips. Not sure what material they are, but feel much softer than my other rods. Can't wait to put it to the test! I will post up my impression for everyone to read.

View attachment 6487

View attachment 6488

View attachment 6489

View attachment 6490

View attachment 6491

View attachment 6492

Attached Files:

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

now that is a beauty...i want to build a proto 400g rod if TJ would sell me a blank...

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

looks nice
    have you pulled on it yet? how do you like it?

4. gmack

gmack Senior Member

looks nice
    have you pulled on it yet? how do you like it?

I bought a 550yard spool of Daiwa 100#(PE8). I'm going to spool my 40N and this reel with it. I have another spool on the way for this reel and will spool with Daiwa 55# for casing (buying a popping rod).

One I spool it up I'll take a couple pics of it bent. I've got 2 5# dumbells so 10# is all I got.

The rod is stiff, but not broom stick stiff. I think it will work like a champ on my targets (small-medium AJ's and blackfin tuna).

Gary

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

that stella is very happy!

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

very nice looking rod

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Kevin does very nice work as all can see on yours.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Gmack

Looks good. You will love the rod, I had a hard time sending the prototype back to TJ

d-a

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the pic looks skewed (great wrapping and work btw) - how long is the rear grip to the seat and foregrip?

10. gmack

gmack Senior Member

the pic looks skewed (great wrapping and work btw) - how long is the rear grip to the seat and foregrip?

Total Rod Length is 61.5" from tip top to bottom of gimbal

29" from start of foregrip to grimbal

foregrip 8" long

rear grip 13" not including gimbal

11. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I'd love to see how 20lbs look hanging off this rod.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

After already owning a 400gr spinning OTI I can say it is one bad stick. I can't wait to tackle something big.

13. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I cant waite for minnow to release a few more early!!!

14. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Got a few bend pictures. Shots taken using 10# of weight. The first two photos are the 400 gram OTIx2. The 3rd & 4th photos are with the same 10# of weight using a Jigging Master 300gram Terminator rod. Excuse the quality of the photos because I was by myself.

As a side note I was surprised how little power the Stella 8000fa had when spooling up (using about 8# of pressure). I guess about 150 yards of Daiwa 100# fit on the reel. My hand was hurting after spooling up. On the other hand I spooled about 300 yards of the 100# braid on a Trinidad 40N and it was much much easier. I think I need a longer handler for more leverage on the Stella.

Attached Files:

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I think I need a longer handler for more leverage on the Stella.

How long does your handle measure from the pivot point to the shaft at the grip? If its less than 3 inches, you can get a power handle.

d-a

16. gmack

gmack Senior Member

How long does your handle measure from the pivot point to the shaft at the grip? If its less than 3 inches, you can get a power handle.

d-a

What power handle are you referring to?

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Your not going to be able to crank with spinning gear like conventional.
    Worst scenario if you cranked hard enough and have enough leverage the handle is going to break. Spinning gear is more perferred using a wind and pump method.

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What power handle are you referring to?

Studio ocean mark, MC works for the FA's

Shimano makes a longer handle for the SW's

d-a

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Your not going to be able to crank with spinning gear like conventional.
    Worst scenario if you cranked hard enough and have enough leverage the handle is going to break. Spinning gear is more perferred using a wind and pump method.

Maybe not, but the power handles defiantly make a difference

d-a